Firewood score!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustytools

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A buddy of mine called me last weekend to tell me that his neighbor with 400+ acres had given him permission to cut firewood on him. He wants me to help him and his BIL because neither of them have any big saws to cut up the really big stuff with. We are allowed to cut as much Hickory and Ash as we like but were instructed to leave all Oaks that were living. I went over tonight to cut up three Oak blowdowns that were blown over from last weekends winds and was amazed at the amount of wood that we are gonna be able to take. My buddy and his son were amazed at how quickly the 395 with the 24" bar zipped through 30" +/- diameter Oak. Im gonna go back in the morning to drag out about a half dozen more shagbark Hickories and split them and the Oaks up. My buddy has a large Case tractor to drag everything up to the clearing with so this should be a lot of fun. Ill post some pictures of my share of the wood when I start hauling it home.:cheers:

400+ acres of wood..........every wood burner's fantasy!!

nice score, man. enjoy!

400+ acres of wood..........every wood burner's fantasy!!

nice score, man. enjoy!

Not quite all of it is wooded but his reason for letting us cut is so that he can get some parts of the wooded areas cleared for food plots. All of that shagbark Hickory has me very excited!!!

I have it all unloaded and stacked up. Stack is 11' long 32" wide and 4'-9" tall. This adds up to 139 cubic feet, A little over a cord, not too bad for two heaping loads on the old F-150.

Use the mille ash

Im hoping to be able to talk them into letting me save an Ash or two for milling after we get everyones firewood in.:cheers:

Use the milled ash to make a simple bench or something for the landowners garage. A small thank you gift will pay HUGE dividends in the future! Just a thought.:popcorn:

I had once thought about sideboards but the two loads of Oak last weekend were all that the ole half ton wanted. They were mounded up about half way of the cab and squatted it down to where the top of the wheel wells were even with the top of the tires. It still pulled and handled real good though.:cheers:

Time for a little trailer like mine. That 5x8 trailer with the 3500lb axle makes each trip a lot more productive and doesn't stress out my little V8 too much. I'd like to have a bigger tandem axle trailer but my truck wouldn't have the guts to pull it.

Ian

Back