Firewood Sellers...How ya doin' this season?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So how are all the firewood sellers doing? I'm sure the big guys are well over 150 cords. We (me and a buddy) have been averaging around 25 to 30 cords a year over the past few years and usually run out in January. Right now I would have sold about 20 or so. I never have a problem selling the wood, we just never produce enough due to time and wood supply.

This year has been our best yet and November isn't even over. We've sold every stick so far and are fast approaching 50 cords. The turning point was when we landed a wholesale contract (a local nursery). He bought out our remaining stash and we've been working on producing some more as he wants everything we can pump out. The only problem now is finding old seasoned logs and time. I think we'll be done soon for this season and get a jump on next year. I know I wouldn't miss freezing my butt off delivering wood in a snow storm.

If possible, We are gonna try and stay strictly wholesale next year, with a few exceptions for good, long time customers.

So how's it going for everyone else? Land any big accounts or etc?

Fantastic!

Last year I sold about 50 full cords. I had 65 cords all cut and split for this season, thinking that would be enough. I ran out 2 weeks ago. So now I am cutting dead standing, bark off trees, moisture content running 14 to 18%. The rest of the tree that is higher % I am blocking and will split when I catch up. I am very lucky to have 160 acres of red oak (that is all dying of oak wilt) to cut in.
I generally work alone but have help coming beginning Sunday. I have 6 full cords to cut, split and deliver by Wednesday. And perhaps I can keep the guy around long enough to get ahead a few cords too. he works cheap- beer, smokes and diesel for his pickup- in that order!!

Ted

Last year I sold about 50 full cords. I had 65 cords all cut and split for this season, thinking that would be enough. I ran out 2 weeks ago. So now I am cutting dead standing, bark off trees, moisture content running 14 to 18%. The rest of the tree that is higher % I am blocking and will split when I catch up. I am very lucky to have 160 acres of red oak (that is all dying of oak wilt) to cut in.
I generally work alone but have help coming beginning Sunday. I have 6 full cords to cut, split and deliver by Wednesday. And perhaps I can keep the guy around long enough to get ahead a few cords too. he works cheap- beer, smokes and diesel for his pickup- in that order!!

Ted

Ted...When you're done with your man send him my way. I'll pay beer, smokes, diesel, AND a sandwiche. Can keep him busy all year....:D

Cliff

Took orders for 28 cords during the spring /summer its all been processed and delivered . have turned down a couple of calls for seasoned wood in the last couple weeks . the log length wood i have on hand is nowhere near seasoned so i would rather loose a sale than deliver a load that wont burn well . i request that they should order in early spring to insure proper seasoning . seems i pickup 2 new customers per year which averages 2-3 cords to the total sales . just about at my max for a part time gig jk

Man yall are doin' it. What kind of equipment are yall using to process that much wood and if you dont mind me asking how much are you selling a cord for? I've only sold about 6 cord so far this year and I am just about out of the stuff I am going to sale. I have about 10 cords split now but I got to have some for myself and my parents. Waiting on some free time to skid some more dead stuff out of the woods.

Man yall are doin' it. What kind of equipment are yall using to process that much wood and if you dont mind me asking how much are you selling a cord for? I've only sold about 6 cord so far this year and I am just about out of the stuff I am going to sale. I have about 10 cords split now but I got to have some for myself and my parents. Waiting on some free time to skid some more dead stuff out of the woods.

The longer burning season here definately puts us at an advantage, while at the same time I do sell a good bit of wood during the summer to fire pit burners. It's all about marketing and having the product. I have and do buy wood from others to keep my orders filled. A customers that calls and can't get wood is one that won't call again.

Unless something goes absolutely haywire, we will exceed any previous year. The thing that has put us over the top is a commercial business that ordered a hundred cord that we haven't had before, they have been pleased enough with the product that they told us today they would take any additional wood we can provide. We have also done really well this outside the normal residential customers, we are placing wood for sale at a local feed store, it has been a struggle to keep all the deliveries juggled. We raised our price this year, and have refused to try to get down and compete with the weekend warriors on price.
Our focus has been on trying to produce a more consistent sized product. We have several poultry growers that have installed OWB's to help augment their propane heat in their broiler operations, that segment is prolly the most profitable as they want large 8"-up to 14" splits as long as 24-28" depending on the producer, we have very little labor in splitting that way. It is an niche we hope to continue to grow. Last year we started out slow, really worried that it would be slow, it has been the opposite for us this year. We are literally delivering everything we can produce. We are operating on Saturdays and on Sundays after church to try to keep up. The residential business as a whole has been a little slower as temps have not dipped enough for people to be burning on a consistent basis. At this time we aren't taking on any new customers. The only exception might be an elderly person or single mother with no other means to get wood.

i still have about 18 cords left out of 25 cords. and then the phone quit ringing off the hook.untill i found out that some dumb s*** is selling a cord of seasoned wood for 75.00 and he thinks he's got the market cornered.well for right now he's got it cornered untill he runs out. i went up by his place 3 days ago and i think he has maybe 8 cords left. and that isn't going to last long and then they will be back at my place again.and by that time i will have more then 18 cords. i just scored a place thats getting logged and they have a lot of ends that they cut off thats been laying for about a year and a half now.and thats just one pile of butt ends that they sawed off.then they have 2 more piles they just got done cutting this year that they want gone also. so hopefully he will hold out untill i get a wood splitter in january or february.but if not i should have enough wood to last me that long.

i still have about 18 cords left out of 25 cords. and then the phone quit ringing off the hook.untill i found out that some dumb s*** is selling a cord of seasoned wood for 75.00 and he thinks he's got the market cornered.well for right now he's got it cornered untill he runs out. i went up by his place 3 days ago and i think he has maybe 8 cords left. and that isn't going to last long and then they will be back at my place again.and by that time i will have more then 18 cords. i just scored a place thats getting logged and they have a lot of ends that they cut off thats been laying for about a year and a half now.and thats just one pile of butt ends that they sawed off.then they have 2 more piles they just got done cutting this year that they want gone also. so hopefully he will hold out untill i get a wood splitter in january or february.but if not i should have enough wood to last me that long.

Buy him out maybe?

It's the year of referrals around here. Fortunately they've been within a mile of the referrer so it's a time saver on my end.

During a delivery there was a roadside 'firewood for sale' sign so I finished my run and stopped in on the return trip. It was a heavy ride out of there but still ended up with an empty truck upon getting home. Total middle-man situation but everyone was happy in the end.
It's a treat to make some scratch both ways.

sold 72 cords in 6 weeks! last year 60 cords in 12 weeks?? was going to buy more but got nerves last year:bang: could have sold alot more. ordered 11 loads from my logger. shooting for 100 next year.

If the firewood ferry dropped cords of free cut and split wood in my yard I still couldn't sell it for $75 a cord delivered and make money. What are these guys thinking ?

If the firewood ferry dropped cords of free cut and split wood in my yard I still couldn't sell it for $75 a cord delivered and make money. What are these guys thinking ?

I cut way back this year due to family illness but I still managed to clean up with my "display wood" I sell near perfect 16" split seasoned oak for $200 and they can keep the rack...I would not ever be able to sell any wood for $75/ cord...that is nuts.

Latest posts

Back