Firewood Sellers...How ya doin' this season?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In this neck of the woods, natural gas is just plain too cheap. Propane is coming in at under $2 a gallon also.

You cannot win against those prices unless people want to lie on a bearskin rug in front of a warm fire. Nowadays, they don't even want to do that. They'd rather play with cell phones and turn up the thermostat. :msp_razz:

In this neck of the woods, natural gas is just plain too cheap. Propane is coming in at under $2 a gallon also.

You cannot win against those prices unless people want to lie on a bearskin rug in front of a warm fire. Nowadays, they don't even want to do that. They'd rather play with cell phones and turn up the thermostat. :msp_razz:

propane under $2.00 must be nice just paid $3.30 thats with a discount

Not a seller, just reading the thread for curiosity sake. I can't believe some of the prices that are thrown around here. $75-$150 a cord? We just finished about 1.5 cord of really nice red oak and elder this afternoon, and I told the wife, if someone walked up and offered me $150 for this pile of wood, I'd tell 'em to kiss my #%& and hit the road. I don't see how you can sell it that cheap, considering all the work involved. Good on you fella's makin' a living doing this, 'cause it's awful lot of damn work.

Price is Way Too Low...

Believe it or not, I saw an add in the paper today that stopped me dead in my tracks. A guy was selling seasoned ash and elm mixed for $80 a pickup truckload, mounded up, delivered, and stacked. If you figure two loads to the cord, that's $160 a cord.

It's enough to make me put my saws and splitter away, buy his wood wholesale and retail it back out. Gasp! :bang:

just got my first big single order of mixed wood 8 cords for delivery tomorrow and friday... 195.00 for a mix of red oak, aspen and jack pine not bad for a slow season and no snow or real cold yet.... bring on winter!

just got my first big single order of mixed wood 8 cords for delivery tomorrow and friday... 195.00 for a mix of red oak, aspen and jack pine not bad for a slow season and no snow or real cold yet.... bring on winter!

In my market, I'd say the "dash for the cash" is over, and I'm waiting on some customers to get low and refill. I still have plenty of deliveries to do, but nothing like it was a few weeks ago when I was on the road near every day.

i still have about 18 cords left out of 25 cords. and then the phone quit ringing off the hook.untill i found out that some dumb s*** is selling a cord of seasoned wood for 75.00 and he thinks he's got the market cornered.well for right now he's got it cornered untill he runs out. i went up by his place 3 days ago and i think he has maybe 8 cords left. and that isn't going to last long and then they will be back at my place again.and by that time i will have more then 18 cords. i just scored a place thats getting logged and they have a lot of ends that they cut off thats been laying for about a year and a half now.and thats just one pile of butt ends that they sawed off.then they have 2 more piles they just got done cutting this year that they want gone also. so hopefully he will hold out untill i get a wood splitter in january or february.but if not i should have enough wood to last me that long.

Buy him out now. Then you'll have the market all to yourself.:D

I cut fire wood for my OWB and a little stove in the garage and very rarely sell any. Every now and then for some gun money(the wife will never know :biggrin:) or some thing like that..If I could get the kind of money you guys are talkin' about for fire wood, I;d probably go into the business. 50 bucks for a heaping'/well rounded pick up truck around here. DELIVERED!! The drunken-crack heads that do most of the selling of firewood around here,,last winter was selling it for 45 dollars a truck load!!

New Jersey here, small to medium size operation for this neck of the woods - I sell about 60-70 cords a year. I usually don't get busy until the first week of Dec. but have already sold 50 cords and will be out soon.
I find with the high costs of gas/oil more and more people are trying to supplement heating with wood stoves. 5 years ago most customers were weekend burners but now they seem to burn every chance they get.
I am pretty much a one man band, only hiring out local highschool kids to help every now and then. I have 4 saws - 2 huskies, a 20" and 16" commercial grade, 1 stihl - 16" commercial grade, and an old mccullough 36" bar for the big stuff. I split it all with an Iron and Oak 26 ton splitter with a 4 way wedge. Would love to upgrade the splitter but can't see spending 5+ grand.
The going rate for a cord of oak is about $175-$200, other hardwoods about 10% less.

15 cords of the finest buckskin tamarack you can find sold so far this year. I have 2 processed at the house and 1 cord decked up right now. I haul 1/2 cord at a time in my 81 toyota longbed and fuel costs are added to my prices. 180.00 per cord until October then I raise my price to 200.00. When November comes I go to 225.00 per cord, beyond that we negotiate. Delivering a cord later this week for 240.00. I never have trouble selling wood. I cut logs to length, 65", I'm rolling them down a 45 degree treed slope anywhere from 100-200 yards to my truck. I average 12" diameter wood, some 8" and some up to 18". Those 18" logs are real heffers to muscle around and get them loaded, I process the logs at home. Hard work, but I sure do enjoy it.

Firewood Sellers

First year in and not going away: I am hooked!!! Craigslist has been very successful for me here in Indiana. Summer started out with campers wanting 2 wheel barrel loads for $15, then after the heat wave broke, everyone was calling. Now I sell to the people who want what I've called "sex fires" (a fire in the place to set the mood) and a decent amount people who are home heaters! Selling for $60 a load and have been needing to turn down due to limited supply of seasoned!

All the best,

2012 you are mine!

The going price in Wash. DC area is between 220-275 / cord of hardwood.

I am not a seller, but a buyer. I do cut / split occasionally as a weekend warrior. This fall I got 5 cords of hardwood for 160/cord. The catch was it was not seasoned at all, seemed like it was cut / split yesterday, judging by the weight, the fresh wood smell and of course the water coming out of when burning.
I just stacked it for next year, I was happy.

To get properly seasoned hardwood, well cut and split and delivered, the cord price is close to 300 during season and easily exceeding that in quantities smaller than cord. e.g. 12 cubic feet has a going price of $40, that's over 450/cord. But drive an hour from DC and you can easily find a pickup load for 50-60.

Not very good!I still have wood left over from last year.We haven't had much cold weather.Got about 4 cords of pecan 3 of hickory and a couple of oak and 1 cord of ash and oak mixed.I'm not cutting anymore until I get rid of some of this.

This is my first year selling firewood though I’ve been using wood for 10 years as my primary heat.
It’s hard to say if it’s a good year or not. I sold a little over 12 cords since June and I have about 35 left.
I would say it’s not going as good as it normally would because of the sever drought we have had for the past 2 years.
It seems everyone has wood for sale and some of it is really cheap. Most of my wood is seasoned and ready to burn.
I don’t know how many are selling green wood but I have had some costumer’s say that they bought wood from other people and it wouldn’t burn.
CL has tons of adds and of course there are those that put 8-10 adds in a row and take up the whole page.
Most of the county’s in the area have lifted there burn ban but not here.
I have sold quite a bit of camp wood though. I have a large pile of odd size pieces of forks, knots and bad wood that doesn’t make good firewood and I sell it as is for campfire wood for $30.00 a truck load (thrown in).
It hasn’t really gotten cold here yet, January, February are our coldest months so we will see as time goes buy.
I do get a lot of calls for smoking wood and cant seem to keep it in stock.

Dennis

This is my first year selling firewood though I’ve been using wood for 10 years as my primary heat.
It’s hard to say if it’s a good year or not. I sold a little over 12 cords since June and I have about 35 left.
I would say it’s not going as good as it normally would because of the sever drought we have had for the past 2 years.
It seems everyone has wood for sale and some of it is really cheap. Most of my wood is seasoned and ready to burn.
I don’t know how many are selling green wood but I have had some costumer’s say that they bought wood from other people and it wouldn’t burn.
CL has tons of adds and of course there are those that put 8-10 adds in a row and take up the whole page.
Most of the county’s in the area have lifted there burn ban but not here.
I have sold quite a bit of camp wood though. I have a large pile of odd size pieces of forks, knots and bad wood that doesn’t make good firewood and I sell it as is for campfire wood for $30.00 a truck load (thrown in).
It hasn’t really gotten cold here yet, January, February are our coldest months so we will see as time goes by.

I do get a lot of calls for smoking wood and cant seem to keep it in stock.

Dennis

There is your bread-n-butter, or niche market.

Well gents I have no clue on how much I have sold. But I will tell you all this, I have not been able to bring home the first piece. It has all been sold from the woods.

Ray

This is my first year selling firewood. I took over an older gentleman's business when he retired in the spring.
I thought I would sell about 30 cords this year. I have already sold 27, and we are just now getting our first cold weather. Looks like I might double that estimate.
CL and the local newspaper are full of ads for firewood, and it looks like almost everyone is selling cheaper than I am. At first this worried me, however I am selling everything I can haul in and deliver, and customers of the former owner do not even ask the price, they just tell me they want wood and bring it when I can. So, I am holding my price and I do expect to have a better year than estimated.
Jeff

Latest posts

Back