firewood solar kiln @ $100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben joyce

Reaction score
I just built a $100 solar firewood kiln for 5 cords red oak. It is Oct 17 on Cape Cod Ma. I bought 100 ft roll of 6mil clear plastic. Had 40ft 4X4 stack of split and cut firewood, on top of plastic. extended plastic over all sides and sealed the 4th side to the biggining plastic. Floor fan at one end and only 2 openings supported by giant tin cans with plastic roped around the cans. The construction is like a clear plastic tunnel with a floor fan at one end. The sun just came up and after 1hr the temp went from 41 degrees to 60 degrees. Humidity dropped from 70 to 60.

Do you think this will work. I'm going to find out. I only plan to use this for a few months. I hope to have firewood dry in two months. Nov. is the cloudiest month on Cape Cod. Maybe it will take 4 months? At least I know more next time I'm in a pinch for dry firewood as winter approaches.

Vulnerable to wind damage, I'll try to fix/support that problem. And we are approaching cold weather. A website in vermont said his solar barn/kiln would raise the temp by 60 degrees, but his was insulated. To what extent, I don't know. My back yard hack kiln is only plastic but No drafts except my two tin can openings of about 8 inches. Tunnel is about 50 ft long.

I just built a $100 solar firewood kiln for 5 cords red oak. It is Oct 17 on Cape Cod Ma. I bought 100 ft roll of 6mil clear plastic. Had 40ft 4X4 stack of split and cut firewood, on top of plastic. extended plastic over all sides and sealed the 4th side to the biggining plastic. Floor fan at one end and only 2 openings supported by giant tin cans with plastic roped around the cans. The construction is like a clear plastic tunnel with a floor fan at one end. The sun just came up and after 1hr the temp went from 41 degrees to 60 degrees. Humidity dropped from 70 to 60.

Do you think this will work. I'm going to find out. I only plan to use this for a few months. I hope to have firewood dry in two months. Nov. is the cloudiest month on Cape Cod. Maybe it will take 4 months? At least I know more next time I'm in a pinch for dry firewood as winter approaches.

Vulnerable to wind damage, I'll try to fix/support that problem. And we are approaching cold weather. A website in vermont said his solar barn/kiln would raise the temp by 60 degrees, but his was insulated. To what extent, I don't know. My back yard hack kiln is only plastic but No drafts except my two tin can openings of about 8 inches. Tunnel is about 50 ft long.

Cool man, we need pics! God luck with the wind!

Back