Firewood sole income

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was just curious are there any of the members here that sell firewood as there sole business?

If they do, they don't have time to be here, since they are looking for wood, cutting, splitting or delivering or they are looking for more wood to feed their processor so they can deliver more wood to pay for the processor.:greenchainsaw:

Considering a change of venue or just curious?:monkey:

Theres a guy in N. OKC that sells wood solely. And he doesnt chase after any of it. Hes opened his yard up to the tree guys as a place to dump thier logs. He then hires up some part timers to split and stack. He delivers NOTHING, its all come-n-getit. All wood is sold as "Oklahoma Mix" (ie- if it grows in Oklahoma, it may be in there)

Newfie said:
Considering a change of venue or just curious?:monkey:

I was just curious.We have a fellow here locally that i used to give all of my wood to and in the fall and winter thats all he does.Since ive decided to sell palletized wood this coming winter and keep all of my wood his lot is pretty empty right now.

We have several of them around these parts. They have made arrangements with timber cutters to buy all of their hardwoods that don't go to a sawmill. They also have invested in a firewood processor, a motorized lift, and a dump truck. They are doing a couple hundred cords a year. And it's a LOT of work. But without the deals with the cutters, you would not have enough raw material to process.

Not quite possible here

I have sold a little wood, and this year should do a bit more.
Lot of work, little pay. Until something breaks down.

In the dead of winter when someone runs out of wood, and I get to deliver a load the size of the smile:biggrinbounce2: makes it worth it.

-Pat

Hmmm, not my sole income but I did push out 46 cord of all hardwoods this year by myself. I sell by the cord & half cord. I don't give a price till I know where they live (if they want it delivered) If they live in the rich part of town I charge the max around $140-150 cord, stacked & delivered, $115 for the regular people! I know a guy that does tree trimming & removals I offer help in clean up for the firewood, cut timbers @ 4ft 1in. I have 6 saws, 3 mauls, and a 22 ton log splitter for the stuff that sucks and when I'm feelin' a little tired from my regular job. I don't think I did to bad for my first year. I come from out of nowhere and more less monopolized firewood sales in my county.
I learned almost everything I know about the biz right here on arboristsite.com
I sell direct,no wholesale for packaged firewood. No one buys those crappy packages of wood for $5 anyways, people complain it's split too little!

Better Do Some More Research

I sell direct,no wholesale for packaged firewood. No one buys those crappy packages of wood for $5 anyways, people complain it's split too little!
Between myself and two other national suppliers we sold close to 2 million of those "crappy packages of wood" last year. Better do some more research because it is one of the fastest growing firewood sales methods in the country. This year will see the introduction of the coin operated firewood bundle vending machine. We sell kiln dried bundles year round.:rolleyes:

Schultzz said:
Between myself and two other national suppliers we sold close to 2 million of those "crappy packages of wood" last year. Better do some more research because it is one of the fastest growing firewood sales methods in the country. This year will see the introduction of the coin operated firewood bundle vending machine. We sell kiln dried bundles year round.:rolleyes:

I'd pay money to see a firewood vending machine. Then I'd start a match vending machine and sit it next to yours.:cheers:

Schultzz said:

How about some pictures?:)

Schultzz said:

Don't let him bug ya Shultzz. He gave away 46 cords and has a county wide monopoly?:dizzy:

last year firewood made up around about a third of my turnover. would have been a lot more if id been able to get more wood. i was sold out by november....about 160 ton of hardwood and ended up scaping and scrounging for whatever i could get my hands on the rest of the season. still i wasnt the only one, just about every firewood merchant in the area was in the same boat. i even ended up buying 40 ton of scots pine off a timber merchant....things were that desperate! I figured at least i'd have something to offer the customer rather than nothing.

over here people generally sell wood by the cubic meter rather than cord. how many cubic meters would you say were in a cord?

attached are some pics of my present wood pile....its coming in good and regular at the moment, at this rate i'll be sorted for the winter no probs. i'll take a couple weeks out from climbing end of may, early june and process it and store it under the barn.

Geesh I was only talking about my area, Fayette county, ohio! I admit we have no big cities, only 2 small towns and a couple of burgs, which would make a difference I suppose! Not many people burn wood in fayette county ohio, (too much Govt housing) so if I offended anyone I am sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was boasting, just saying whats going on in my neck of the woods! Pictures are a good idea, I shall get some.

In my area firewood sell fairly well.Theres a fellow about a mile from me that sold out in december he grossed 16K. I gave him probably 80% of what he sold.
That made me think theres alot of days that i'm paying help to sweep the shop floor when it rains.So i figured why not give the guys a shelter and let them split when the ground is to wet to do treework.I get paid to haul out the wood anyway.I have a friend that owns a large landscape supply yard.He wants me to palletize it and he told me he could move that way.

Two years ago, I delivered 90 cord of firewood. I hired some local high school boys to run the splitter while I cut and delivered. Last year, I did all the work myself and only did 40 cord. It is a LOT if work. some photos...firewood

stephenbullman said:
over here people generally sell wood by the cubic meter rather than cord. how many cubic meters would you say were in a cord?

By my math, approximately 3.6 cubic meters make up a cord (which is 128 cubic feet).

Back