firewood stolen

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had people produce a piece of paper stating they had permission to cut on my land! It was signed by someone who owned bordering land (which is completely posted, btw). Nothing like giving your friends permission to cut wood on someone else's land. When you explain the situation to them, they usually don't argue much; if they do, too bad...trespassing charges aren't taken lightly in these parts.

Granted, there are some people who do have blanket permission to cut on our land, but I know who they are, because I'm the one giving permission.

Right by the landing I cut at (private property) some utility workers were putting in sewer lines. It wasn't enough for them to cut down about 400 trees to put the line in, but they started taking my wood. Some was cut, some was split, some in rounds and some in 6ft sections. They would cut the longer pieces right on site and take it all. I am not home during the day while they are "working" there so I can't catch thenm in the act so I baited them with some junk cottenwood I had for bonfires. I cut halfway thru a couple of pieces then drove about 10 finish nails into the cuts. They didn't get much wood that day and haven't been back! I only wish I could have seen what the chain on their saw looked like!

This brings back memories of an old neighbor who used to steal wood from my burn pile. I fnally fgured out who it was through some careful hunting:Eye: and dialed it in on a neighbor that was too lazy to cut his own wood. So what I did to teach em a lesson:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: was take a log that was on top of the pile, took out my drill with a 3/4" auger bit, :rock: and drilled a hole deep into a firelog, then filled it with some black powder and whadding* jammed in a piece of wood and made it look normal.:hmm3grin2orange: Well, that night, I stood out on my back porch had a few :cheers: and waited, wouldn't you know, I heard the leaves rustling, and saw an outline of a "person" walking strait towards my wood pile with a handy little log carrier. I was going to approach the guy but figured I'd wiat to see if he really was the theif. Bingo, walked back to the wood pile and about 20 logs where gone, including the "loaded" one:hmm3grin2orange: That night I heard a nice big BOOOOOM! and guess what, I never had wood missing from my pile again!:biggrinbounce2:

Burnin

Stealing Firewood-No Excuses

Not believable. Many here use wood as their only heat (us, for example).
One old timer told me his method, called "9mm". Drill small holes in the firewood --ready to steal :biggrinbounce2: --just about 9mm in dia and close to 6" deep. Insert a 9mm round into said :biggrinbounce2: hole. Close hole with sawdust mixed with glue. Get a nice brew and sit at home in peace.

R.I.P. :hmm3grin2orange:

A friend of mine had a neighbor steel some cut and split hedge from him. It was pilled on his land just barley in sight of the road. He was going to take a couple of logs from the pile and drilled holes in them and filled them with blackpowder. I don't think he ever did it but that would be a good theft deturent. I wouldn't even care if the thief got hurt.

wood mishap

This story is reversed of what happened to you guys. Last september i got a phone call from a man who asked me if i wanted some locust trees that he had cut.I immediately loaded up my equipment,and headed for his house. I arrived,proceeded to cut and took several truck loads out. The next day i went back to get the rest of the wood and clean up the brush. While cutting,one of the neighbors came speeding up through his yard in his pick-up and confronted me ...............He told me that i was cutting his wood!!!!!!!! After talking to the landowner,(who swore up and down that they were his trees) i decided to hell with this, and left. Several weeks later,the original landowner called me to see if i could bring the wood back,or give him the money from it....talk about some nerve!!! to make a small story short, he got nothing.

Latest posts

Back