Firewood storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckethead

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
There has been a lot of discussion on the various methods for storing and seasoning firewood. Some just pile their wood, some stack it in rows, and others use the mythical holtz hausen. We use a combination of all three...

For the Red Oak that will sit for at least a year we stack it in rows with lots of air space in between. The Maple, Ash, and other species get put in what we call a "Half-a$$ed Hausen." We start by laying out some pallets...usually 5x3 and start piling the wood in the middle. As the pile grows we start stacking the wood on the outer perimeter like a Holtz Hausen. We then keep piling more wood in the center and stacking the wood on the outside. Typically we make the stack about 6' high and with the stacked outer edge it allows our pile to occupy a smaller footprint. Once the "Half-a$$ed Hausen" is finished we cover the top with a tarp leaving the sides open to allow maximum airflow. So far it's worked well for us allowing for good drying, takes up less space and doesn't require a lot of time stacking each piece.

Here's a pic of a "Half-a$$ed Hausen" under construction. (Can you all tell that I just figured out how to attach photos?:clap:)

Well here's the start of our indoor wood storage for the heating season. This is right next to our wood furnace in the basement. Each row works out to be about (or a little more) than a cord. Still need to bring enough wood in from the woodpile to finish two of these rows and then add 2 more. 3 if I get lucky and make it a tight fit :D We'll go through 7 or 8 cords and with luck, I'll be able to get it all inside.

Not that there are many left in the wood at this point anyways, but I do spray all the perimeters with bug spray as a precaution and it's done the trick thus far.

DSC09441Medium.jpg

I stack personally. I think it's a combination of space available and ambition that determines how most store their wood. I like to have long stacks, 2, 3 at most rows wide for better airflow.

Nuzzy, I can't compete with 8 cords of indoor storage, unless I lose my dartboard and beer fridge, but I'm looking to have 3 cords inside before Turkey day. It will make those -30° cold snaps and the week of snow every day a lot easier. Just bring it in when it's nice weather.

Stacking methods are like saw brands, or stove styles. Everyone's personal favorite is the best, and all the rest suck butt.

Nuzzy, I can't compete with 8 cords of indoor storage, unless I lose my dartboard and beer fridge, but I'm looking to have 3 cords inside before Turkey day. It will make those -30° cold snaps and the week of snow every day a lot easier. Just bring it in when it's nice weather.

I'm not sure what we're gonna do down the road when we finish the basement :dizzy: That area "was" going to eventually be a small rec room for kids someday or a workout room. Maybe by then we'll be so accustomed to the luxury, we won't want to give it up and will just make it a permanent wood room :D

But for heaven's sake man, don't even THINK of losing your beer fridge :jawdrop: NO wood is worth THAT!! :givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

:hmm3grin2orange:

I stack in rows...it's neater and it lets me know how much wood I have and how much I still need to cut.

I usually only get enough cut each winter to use the next season.

I stack in rows...it's neater and it lets me know how much wood I have and how much I still need to cut.

I usually only get enough cut each winter to use the next season.

All of my nice straight 16" wood gets stacked and sold. All the Y', knots, elbows, chunks, blocks, and other riffraff goes in a big pile which is at some point covered by the highly stylish brown vinyl Menards tarp, and then burnt in my own OWB.

I stack in rows outdoors and bring the season's supply in around the start of the burning season.

We have an attached barn accessible through a breezeway off from the kitchen ell - it's what they call a connected farmhouse, a regional architectural variation in the mid-1800s in parts of NH and Maine.

Each morning, after the fire's kindling and the coffe's on, I'll put on my slippers and fetch up a couple armloads.

There's 2 hoss stalls in the barn, sans equines and now doing firewood storage duty. Each is about 8x8x8. One of the stalls has less dense wood while the other is packed with high btu wood like oak for deep winter.

attachment.php

Well Nuzzy. in four weeks I will post a pic to show you how to fill a utility room with wood. Nice try...

I stack in rows outdoors and bring the season's supply in around the start of the burning season.

We have an attached barn accessible through a breezeway off from the kitchen ell - it's what they call a connected farmhouse, a regional architectural variation in the mid-1800s in parts of NH and Maine.

Each morning, after the fire's kindling and the coffe's on, I'll put on my slippers and fetch up a couple armloads.

There's 2 hoss stalls in the barn, sans equines and now doing firewood storage duty. Each is about 8x8x8. One of the stalls has less dense wood while the other is packed with high btu wood like oak for deep winter.

attachment.php

Any chance you'll post a picture of your place? Sounds great.

Anyone ever tell you that you bear a slight resemblance to Bob Crane?

Well here's the start of our indoor wood storage for the heating season. This is right next to our wood furnace in the basement. Each row works out to be about (or a little more) than a cord. Still need to bring enough wood in from the woodpile to finish two of these rows and then add 2 more. 3 if I get lucky and make it a tight fit :D We'll go through 7 or 8 cords and with luck, I'll be able to get it all inside.

Not that there are many left in the wood at this point anyways, but I do spray all the perimeters with bug spray as a precaution and it's done the trick thus far.

How do you deal with the residual moisture in the wood? Seems like that could be an issue inside the house.

Well Nuzzy. in four weeks I will post a pic to show you how to fill a utility room with wood. Nice try...

:popcorn::popcorn:

I'm just glad I'm not the only one bringing large amounts of wood indoors for the season :D

How do you deal with the residual moisture in the wood? Seems like that could be an issue inside the house.

Good question... Haven't really had an issue with it. We did hang plastic on the sheetrock wall and have contemplated stuffing some of those 5 gal buckets of moisture wicking crap down there, as my dad always had good luck with them while storing his motorhome. But from what I understand, the previous owner and builder of our house put a full season's worth of wood down there every year for 15 years and never had mold or moisture problems. We had wet, nasty, punky, rotten wood for much of last year and the room wasn't any worse for wear. I suppose time will tell!

Latest posts

Back