Firewood Therapy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nassin2

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Had an absolute cr@p day at work today and was grumpy when I got home. I left the splitter in the shed and grabbed the splitting maul. Spent an hour splitting with the maul and felt like a new man. Amazing what some exercise does to get rid of a sour mood and frustrations.

Truth.

I especially like putting in the ear buds and listening to some good music while blasting away with the Fiskars. Always puts a smile on my face. :chainsawguy:

Theres something about splitting that's just therapeutic. Its a workout, but much better than going to the gym. All my buddies go there and pump iron, and at the end of the day, there is precious little to show for it. At least I have an big pile of split wood.

THE BOSS

"Some guys they just give up living
And start dying little by little piece by piece
Some guys come home from work and wash up
Then go racin’ (SPLITTING) in the street (BACK YARD)"

I'm not nuts, the splitter is for elm. I was spitting red oak today, makes me feel all big and manly when that stuff blows apart.
ain't red oak a hoot! i was used to busting everything else and then found a large red oak down on my neighbor while hunting. asked for it, got it. pulled up with saw, maul, sledge...

limbed and bucked, no surprises. then put a big swing into the maul and 'bout buried it two feet into the dirt! i broke up laughing. and backed down my busting muscles a few notches.

and if you've ever enjoyed good red wine--smell the freshly split red oak for some of the same aromas.

I don't know why, but this time every year, I get grumpy. I have been especially grumpy lately and chalk it up to 3 weeks without cutting wood. I truly believe hard work eases the mind. I love being outside and away from all the distractions of life.

I have tried the ear buds, but find that it leaves me too connected to the world. I just need the visceral experience of the woods.

I hand split all my wood (to cheap to buy or rent a splitter...........unless I keep reading this site...........joking this is a great site), for me it is the most enjoyable chore of the entire process. The part I like is you can pick away at it anytime, no need to get all geared up. If you got half an hour you can split some wood, most of the other chores are more time consuming. It is great therapy aswell.

ain't red oak a hoot! i was used to busting everything else and then found a large red oak down on my neighbor while hunting. asked for it, got it. pulled up with saw, maul, sledge...

limbed and bucked, no surprises. then put a big swing into the maul and 'bout buried it two feet into the dirt! i broke up laughing. and backed down my busting muscles a few notches.

and if you've ever enjoyed good red wine--smell the freshly split red oak for some of the same aromas.

St.Julians Braganini Riserve'.

Think of it as Brunello de' Montepulciano Americanized with fresh local Red Oak Barrels for aging. It's that good.
Stock up before the secret is out, right now it's just regional.

This not drinkin' thing kills me at times. Splitting Red Oak is one of 'em.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

A neighbor that I don't like and has caused trouble in the past rented a splitter for a pathetic little truckload of wood. (He's a lame-o). He saw me splitting with my maul and offered to "loan" me his splitter. No thanks. He's the type of guy that would sabotage it just to say YOU broke HIS splitter.
My maul is great, and I use a big heavy wedge. Good stuff. I almost bought a splitter back in the spring and I'm glad I didn't.
I would have felt like a dope. My maul has beaten more logs more times than richard simmon's has wept with portly women.

Latest posts

Back