Firewood vs pickup window

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK, so how many besides me have bounced wood off of the back window of the truck before and thought, I oghta build a rack someday before I break it? After today I need both a rack and a rear window. Git them racks built men.:)

we use an old beater F-150 for our wood truck. two years ago, my father-in-law bounced a round off the back window. crash...

luckily, up here, enough people have junkers in their yards that we had a replacement put in in two days...

I remember a time my dad and I had a load of firewood on the ol' chevy...and someone decided to stop sudden in front of us...well the load shifted and out came the back window...few choice words from dad and we were on our way!

I'll be building one.

figured that one

I have built racks, helps bunches. I have never busted out a window (yet) hauling wood.

A real nice rack can be made from 3/4 and 1 inch conduit pipe. Use expanded metal mesh for the window area, works like a charm.

-Pat

I've busted many a rear window chunkin firewood.
But the worst by far was when I was restoring a 1953 Ford golden anniversary 3/4 ton pickup. It was the only truck I had at the time, and I had spent hours, and hours getting the rear fenders straight. A big round rolled off the top right on the left fender and put a huge dent in it. I sold that truck that weekend. Sure do miss it.

Andy

No windows but I did wipe the mirror off the passenger door and put a big ding in it by falling a tree. Just did catch it with the tip of the tree.

Racks. Yes. I have had racks on every PU I owned, all built from wood. The ones on the current F150 need replacing as they are old. May go with square tube stakes but still wood for the rebuild.

Spent a few minutes making a shovel holder out of two loops cut from an old v-belt so I can carry the shovel on the outside of the rack rather than loading/unloading it all the time. I carry it for emergency only but am surprised how often I reach for it now that I started carrying this spring.

Harry K

built my own head ach rack

Butch,

Built my own head ach rack.Stops logs in there tracks.Saved window.:givebeer:

I've only taken out one; and that was a buddys truck, oops.

We were out camping and one of my buddies and I took another guys truck to cut some wood for that nights fire. We were cutting approximately 6' lengths and loading them in the truck to take back to camp. The last one went right through the back window :mad: .

Oh well, that's what he gets for leaving the truck and keys when he went to the bar :laugh:

Better the back window than......

attachment.php

I've busted many a rear window chunkin firewood.
But the worst by far was when I was restoring a 1953 Ford golden anniversary 3/4 ton pickup. It was the only truck I had at the time, and I had spent hours, and hours getting the rear fenders straight. A big round rolled off the top right on the left fender and put a huge dent in it. I sold that truck that weekend. Sure do miss it.

Andy

I did the same thing to my dad's 56 International he restored. He used it as a "work truck" so he wasn't upset about the dent, but it about made me sick. At least those were made of real steel so the dent was pretty small. I'd hate to see it with modern steel fenders.

I also broke a rear window years ago. Since then I have'nt thrown wood any more, I stack it carefully. Pretty soon I'll have a trailer and won't have to worry about it.

I've been using an old 1977 GMC 4WD and my rear window is now plexi-glass. has'nt busted yet and I keep throwin' wood at it. The mirrowers are gone and the sides are dented but it goes about anywhere. My son calles it THE BEAST. It has a set of Oxen horns mounted to the front grill which is made out of heavy duty catwalk. :givebeer:

Okay...so what's the story behind this crazy picture...:jawdrop:

Kevin

My guess was a dash cam in a patrol car. See the letters on the windshied, which state has "STATE TROOPER" or something on the windshield of their cars?

Just a guess, I never saw the move aquan8tor mentioned.

I have bounced a few chunks off the window, but been lucky so far.

Last edited:
My guess was a dash cam in a patrol car. See the letters on the windshied, which state has "STATE TROOPER" or something on the windshield of their cars?

Just a guess, I never saw the move aquan8tor mentioned.

I have bounced a few chunks off the window, but been lucky so far.

I had seen the letters on the windshield, and had also thought that it was a trooper, but wasn't sure.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back