Firewooded a nice Hickory today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7oaks

DRUGSTORE LOGGER
Reaction score
The wife and I spent a few hours bucking up and splitting a nice sized hickory today. The tree is on our property in WV and had been dead for many years but we left it standing as a wildlife tree then this past winter it blew down. Beautiful straight log - I should have milled it but I already have way too many logs on the log stack so it turned into some very nice firewood.

This photo shows the log, my 3pt hitch splitter and the trailer. When we were done the springs were sitting on the axel. Glad I only had to haul it back up the hill a few hundred yards to the house.

attachment.php

In this photo is my trusty 028 WB Super. It is my go-to saw when I want to get work done. It has a 18 inch bar today and the lower portion of the trunk used every bit of it and some more.

attachment.php

This is about 3/4 of the load on the trailer. The last three rounds went into the tractor's bucket as I didn't want to break an axel.

Nice! Gotta love the smell of hickory. how you like your 3-point splitter? A friend of mine has a farmtrac 320 and was just asking about one of those splitters.

Are you on the northern or southern end of Va/WVa?

Thanks!

Nice! Gotta love the smell of hickory. how you like your 3-point splitter? A friend of mine has a farmtrac 320 and was just asking about one of those splitters.

Are you on the northern or southern end of Va/WVa?

Thanks!

Hickory and red oak both smell wonderful. I really should have milled this log as the more I cut into it the more I realized it was pretty much knotless with beautiful colorization.

The Farmtrac is a great runner and does everything I ask it to do and I push it to the limits. The splitter is a godsend. I can't imagine having to split a winter's wood by hand. I'm just too old for that. 3pt hydraulics is the way to go.

We are in the panhandle of WV just west of Keyser on the N. Branch of the Potomac. An outdoorsman's paradise!

Where are you at?

nice pics, like your tractor

I do too!:hmm3grin2orange: Couldn't do without it.

Some good burnin there! Nice Ford with the splitter attachment :cheers:

Actually it is a Farmtrac (in Ford Blue :msp_smile:) now Montana tractors and green.

I use a trailer like that and I'm always wondering how much wood I can load before it becomes too much.

Yeah I wouldn't have gone very far with it loaded like this. When the springs hit the axel I decided not to risk it further. Also there was no need to as this was just a couple hundred yards from the firewood shed.

Very nice set up you have there. The landscape looks like a beautiful place.

We love it. 15 acres with N. Branch Potomac just down the hill and Jenning Randolph Lake just a few minutes away.

Cheers all and thanks for the nice words.

Whoa...Thanks for the correction, I took the blue for ford...Duh! That a non affliated company? Never heard of them before.

That is one nice hickory log.
I like the compact wood splitter. Mine is a overkill homemade rig with several feet of hydrolic hose, and a gigantic cylinder.
Wish we had pavement roads here. We still use the dusty old wagon trails in these parts of Oklahoma.:laugh::laugh:

Keyser ? Then you certainly know Barnum, WV. :D Is Pap's Bait Shop still there when you drop down into the N. Branch ?

Keyser ? Then you certainly know Barnum, WV. :D Is Pap's Bait Shop still there when you drop down into the N. Branch ?

Pap Paugh died 4 or 5 years ago. One of his sons ran the shop for a short time but it is now closed, sad to say as it was a true throw back in time, as you know.

Yeah Barnum is just down the road a spit or two. I didn't name it above because I thought no-one would know it. :msp_wink:

Thanks guys for all the nice comments and greetings.

Last edited:
That is one nice hickory log.
I like the compact wood splitter. Mine is a overkill homemade rig with several feet of hydrolic hose, and a gigantic cylinder.
Wish we had pavement roads here. We still use the dusty old wagon trails in these parts of Oklahoma.:laugh::laugh:

Yeah it's the right size to get the job done. Heavy built and handles the hardwoods just fine. Here's a pic I didn't upload because I didn't want everyone here to know how closely I have to be supervised when running equipment. When ever I get down to work at his level he has to be right there with his nose leading the way. :laugh:

attachment.php

I'm in the eastern pan-handle also. I'm right on the Cacapon river in a little town called Largent, not but 7 miles east of Paw Paw..

Back