First attempt a firewood cheesecake shot...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
P2280102_small.jpg

Figure I put up about 1/4 cord today...errrr, well into the back of the truck. Taking a break for lunch and stuff before I go stack it.

Was doing woodlot cleanup. Took down and split couple smaller trees that were growing "twisted" that I think were red oak (I'm ashamed how bad my tree recognition skills are proving...I thought I was much better!) plus one small ash that would've been in my way.

Plus I dropped another larger red oak that was growing at a severe angle, figured I'd get it out of the way to let some the smaller, straight young trees near it have more sunlight. Supposed to start snowing overnight, but looks like I might be able to get up there tomorrow morning and get some of that split before the heavy snow moves in.

Yep, it's a for my kayak.

Kinda decided it's handy to leave on year-round -- raises the side of the bed up a little bit, and anytime I have to pickup longer stuff I can through it on top and not hang it out the back.

Through that load out of the bed, went back up and got another 1/2 load before dark.

Nows I gots to stack it up and get it covered tonite by electric light, looks like we have 4-10" of white stuff coming in tomorrow.

I was expecting a pic that was slightly more, uhh, feminine.

Well, it is just a Ranger and not a 1 ton diesel :)

(As much as I desire a 3/4 or 1 ton occassionally...I have to keep reminding myself the Ranger does 95% of what I need, using less fuel, easier in tight areas like the woods or cities, and is easy to load compared to a fullsize).

(As much as I desire a 3/4 or 1 ton occassionally...I have to keep reminding myself the Ranger does 95% of what I need, using less fuel, easier in tight areas like the woods or cities, and is easy to load compared to a fullsize).

LOL. I drive a 2000 ranger with 160K on the odomoter. Great on gas and she's hauled countless cords of firewood, scrap metal and other junk, and literally tons of granite when I built a 100' stone fence about 5 years ago.

The fact that I get in the neighborhood of 27 miles to the gallon makes me love that little truck all the more.

LOL. I drive a 2000 ranger with 160K on the odomoter. Great on gas and she's hauled countless cords of firewood, scrap metal and other junk, and literally tons of granite when I built a 100' stone fence about 5 years ago.

The fact that I get in the neighborhood of 27 miles to the gallon makes me love that little truck all the more.

I hear ya guys there. I have a little Tacoma that has hauled more stuff than most fullsize trucks on the road. The good mileage, and it goes close to anywhere. I keep thinking about getting a beater f250 or Chevy 25, etc for firewood deliveries, but the little truck has definitely hauled it's weight and worth.

96 ranger 4.0 5spd 4x4 with 198k

i love that truck and i beat it to death! its been a log truck a skidder a tow truck a commuter a dump truck you name it!

idiot light is on right now, somthing about a egr valve. i knew somthing was wrong when the fuel mileage went down, long before the idiot light.

1990 Ford ranger hear. I went from a 1990 F -450 to a 2001 Dodge 2500 to nothing but the family car then my little Ranger. I bought in 2005 with 46,000 original miles for $600.00. Put in clutch and new valve cover gaskets and brakes. I have around 68,000 on it now. Highway 23-25 mpg in town 18-20 V-6, 5 speed. This little truck is a tank and will take what ever I throw at it and just keep on going.

And for those who was complaining I had no snow:

I could see grass still when I went to bed at midnite. 8 hours later...
02March09_noreaster.jpg

At 9" right now, we're in the "eye" right now, should start snowing again in a couple hours and drop a few more inches.

I had a '98 Ranger 3.0 engine, automatic.2wd.Loved that truck !!! I hauled a lot of wood with it.Traded it in a couple years ago with 170,000 on it, for a Focus. Still ran perfectly, no rust,no leaks, nothing wrong with it at all. Sometimes I wish I would have kept it.But with gas around 4 bucks a gallon the mileage was the issue, as I have a very long commute each day. And Winters in Northern Mi, can be pretty nasty.However,I had a set of chains for it and they made that truck almost as good as 4wd,maybe better because I could go in snow and ice, and I could also stop pretty well.

OK thats more like it. Its no fun unless everyone has a good foot of snow on the ground. Whats the saying? "Misery loves company"

I hear ya guys there. I have a little Tacoma that has hauled more stuff than most fullsize trucks on the road. The good mileage, and it goes close to anywhere. I keep thinking about getting a beater f250 or Chevy 25, etc for firewood deliveries, but the little truck has definitely hauled it's weight and worth.

My landscaper brother convinced himself he 'needed' a Dodge Durango. He traded in his Tacoma with only 70k. He already had a 1980s Ram, which he converted into a dumper for he heavier work. But he 'needed' the Durango. Then gas prices went haywire. And he bought a camp (land, no buildings) 90 minutes from his house.

During an unguarded momement, he admitted to me that he wished he had that Toyota back.

My landscaper brother convinced himself he 'needed' a Dodge Durango. He traded in his Tacoma with only 70k. He already had a 1980s Ram, which he converted into a dumper for he heavier work. But he 'needed' the Durango. Then gas prices went haywire. And he bought a camp (land, no buildings) 90 minutes from his house.

During an unguarded momement, he admitted to me that he wished he had that Toyota back.

I'm definitely keeping mine till it dies, which hopefully is a long time from now. There's something to be said for small trucks, s-10, ranger, etc for how useful they are, good enough mileage to be a daily driver and excellent for light to medium duty work.

I'm definitely keeping mine till it dies, which hopefully is a long time from now. There's something to be said for small trucks, s-10, ranger, etc for how useful they are, good enough mileage to be a daily driver and excellent for light to medium duty work.

Yup. Drive mine daily.

When reliability becomes an issue, I'm going to retire her from daily use and keep the Ranger for wood gathering, dump runs, Saturday yardsale rounds.

I'll probably get a second hand small car for daily use, so I'll have a division of labor. Sensible car for driving. Truck for hauling. Gas isn't going to stay at $1.80 forever.

One that's always intrigued me is the Toyota 1 Ton compacts from the mid-80s. That would let you bring out a half cord comfortably and still have a nice little truck. I run out of springs on the ranger around 1/4 cord, while I could stack wood considerably higher then that, especially if I made up some sides for that rack I have.

My favorite truck ever was my '96 S-10 and I hate to this day I had to trade it (I could afford monthly payments at the time, but not the $3,000+ work it immenitly needed from new tires to replacing a transmission that had been running on a bad bearing for two(!) years). Got a used F-150 that never grew on me, and truly annoyed me because that thing ran out of springs way way way before it was near loaded, traded it in after a couple years for this Ranger...which is paid off for a year now :) :) :) Wanted an S-10, but they didn't make or were impossible to find with a stick shift by then. Came down to a Toyota or Ranger if I wanted a stick shift, and while Toyota was next on the list, Ford Credit had better terms for me then Toyota did.

One that's always intrigued me is the Toyota 1 Ton compacts from the mid-80s. That would let you bring out a half cord comfortably and still have a nice little truck. I run out of springs on the ranger around 1/4 cord, while I could stack wood considerably higher then that, especially if I made up some sides for that rack I have.

My favorite truck ever was my '96 S-10 and I hate to this day I had to trade it (I could afford monthly payments at the time, but not the $3,000+ work it immenitly needed from new tires to replacing a transmission that had been running on a bad bearing for two(!) years). Got a used F-150 that never grew on me, and truly annoyed me because that thing ran out of springs way way way before it was near loaded, traded it in after a couple years for this Ranger...which is paid off for a year now :) :) :) Wanted an S-10, but they didn't make or were impossible to find with a stick shift by then. Came down to a Toyota or Ranger if I wanted a stick shift, and while Toyota was next on the list, Ford Credit had better terms for me then Toyota did.

I've always been curious about the mini 1 tons myself. I've heard that in other countries Toyota sells a "Hilux" instead of a Tacoma, which is the same size but much more ruggedly built. I sell 1/2 face cords, although they're a bit more than a 1/2 face, that's about all I care to put in the back, pretty much most of the short box stacked bed level. Leaves a tad bit of spring and I drive slow over bumps. Mine's a 4x4 reg cab with a 5 speed and the 2.7 4 cyl, bought it a few years ago from my dad with 55k on it.

Back