First big climbing take down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonker81

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I did an 85', 37" diameter maple for my dad yesterday. The tree had some significant rot damage at the trunk (turned out to be about 30-40% of the diameter) and some bad spots at about 55' up (right at the main crotches). The tree had the potential to hit two houses, some outbuildings or a well depending which way she went, so I decided to beat mother nature to the punch. I started climbing last fall and this was my first big climb and cut. I climbed about 55' (to the crotches) and dropped the canopy with four cuts. Then we fastened a rope at the top, made the felling cuts and pulled it over with my truck to spare some of the little trees in the area. This is my first go at attaching pictures so I hope it work.

attachment.php

The trunk after topping
attachment.php

My 272xp with a 28" bar
attachment.php

My 272xp, my 55 and me

Wow you got a bad burn spot on your bar.

I cut a smaller maple (26") a few months ago, incidentily the first cut with that bar and the accompanying chain, and my bad notch cut was compounded by a gust of wind which caused the tree to hang up. When I was trying to get it down the trunk rolled and crimped the bar and chain. I had to heat the bar and bend the guides back out. And thanks to the information on A.S. I was able to cut out the bad links of chain, put in new links and peen the rivets myself.

Latest posts

Back