First cat rescue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Today as I sat out a rainy Sunday watching T.V. My boss called and said a 86 year old lady's blind cat has been stuck in an eucalyptus tree for the last 4 days and would I be willing to come out and get it.
It seems the fire dept. said they couldn't help and several other tree services either refused or couldn't make it out tell Monday.
What could I say, old lady, blind cat, I'm really getting soft in my old age. The Boss also said she had no money and we wouldn,t get payed. Did I say, Old lady, blind cat?
I called Mike White from this board who I know does cat rescues and ask for some pointers, he told me after 4 days the cat would probably be pretty docile. It was.
I climbed up with the old lady watching, hoping I didn,t drop the cat or have to subdue it physically in front of her. The cat was more dead then alive. I picked it up and stuffed it in a pillow case and lowered it down.
Bye now a small crowd had gathered and when I got down the old lady was hugging and kissing me ,everyone was patting me on the back and calling me a hero. Of course I know it wasn't no big thing and I'm no hero, but it still felt pretty good. My step daughter drove me there, and she seemed pretty impressed also. What is that worth? Priceless. Beastmaster

Someone who comes on here with the screen name small wood, just might be gay! HAHA just kidding! Cat rescues are rewarding. People are always impressed. Very cool..... Mike

Thats cool Beastmaster. I only did one cat rescue and it was ..man...prolly 18 , 19 years ago. APL called the company I worked for and asked for help. Cat was up a tree leaning over river that was swelled up from spring melt off. So it kinda added alittle action as far as the 10 or 15 people who were watchn were concerned. No biggie really, but if that cat had jumped or if I knocked it out an it feel into that river it was a GONER for sure. That current was fast! I know what u mean about the pats on the back....and it felt good to help out. Cant say I did it for free cuz the HO who owned the cat INSISTED I take $20. She even stuck in my pants pocket. I used to be a drinker and when she said to take that money and get yourselves (had buddy with me,he kept my rope outa that river) a couple of beers...well...made perfect sense to me! But I woulda done it for free and still would ESP if its someone who I believe would have a hard time paying.

Of course I know it wasn't no big thing and I'm no hero, but it still felt pretty good. My step daughter drove me there, and she seemed pretty impressed also. What is that worth? Priceless. Beastmaster

you came out on a saturday to rescue a old ladies cat, which most likely means alot more to her than anything else, so personally i think you did a very good thing.

Good job. I did a cat rescue about a year ago. Got a call from a gal who sounded very cute (she was) and headed over her way after finishing up a take-down. Her cat had been in the tree overnight. It was about forty feet up an older Chinaberry. I put the 32' ladder up, climbed it with the cat's carrying case clipped to my harness by a lanyard, tied in and opened the case, which had a bowl of food inside. That cat was hungry! It actually came down the tree, a bit, and entered the case without any work, on my part. I closed the case, unclipped a tag line I had clipped to my harness, ran it through a crotch, clipped it to the case handle, and then Dan lowered it safely down while I rode my rope down after it. Very smooth. The gal gave us $100, although we didn't ask for it.

I know I luck out the cat was so weak, how does one put a scared, pissed off cat in a pillow case? I was worried the whole time I was going to have to,"subdue"' the cat in front of the old lady.
My handle may be Beastmaster, but that refers to a veermer Beast grinder I use to operate.

If it's only been a day I try to tell then to wait since it might come down. Iv'e had a couple that were cranky. I use my rope bag and stuff them in fast. I wear my climbing gloves which helps but Iv'e still gotten scratched up good once or twice. Best when they are up there 3+ days though. Cats need to age a little I guess

Mike

Back