First Climb ever Today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By industry standards it sucks burvol, the job looks like crap. That is not how a professional tree climber does it.
By the standard for anyone who spikes up a tree for the first time with a rather large saw its quite impressive. Keep at it and of course you will get better if you want to get better. You have to start somewhere. I would tell off all stuff I did/ do wrong in my time but it would take to long.
Considering you have way more green bars and posts than me I am surprised you would put a picture of yourself pruning a tree with spikes. Also the saw marks all ovet the place is bad.
Please note that I didn't once refer to you negatively.

"Arboristsite. That's A-R-B-O-R-I-S-T."

Yes, and that is not G-E-A-R W-A-N-K.

Double lanyarding is a good ascension technique on trees like firs.

Throw lines are useful at times, but seldom required.

"Arborist" means a person who studies and cares for trees, not someone who embraces "progessive" gear and methods so tightly that they forget wtf they are going up there for in the first place.

A log chain for a flip line? That would technically qualify as a "steel core", wouldn't it? :jawdrop:

ANSI Z133.1, 8.1.18 , Arborist shall have available a climbing line and at least one other means of being secured while working aloft; for example, an arborist climbing line and a work positioning lanyard.

the same ol' can of worms...good job man...60' is probably as high as some of these guys givin' you crap have ever been....that tree will be fine...spurring up a fir tree here in the pacific north west is not gonna kill it ...no chance...as a forestry climber i spike up trees all day...saw limbs off with just one steelcore around the stem and its all good...(though we do have two lanyards on our belt when having to go over limbs) i think alot of the american rules are in place due to the fact tree service work is urban based...therefore alot of cidiots are swinging around saws...thats why my compo rate for tree service is higher than that of manual falling and bucking....you'd have to really work at it to cut through my 5/8 flipline as well as the one you're sporting....keep at it...just make sure you keep an eye on you gear and saw...check, check, recheck is the motto...stay safe!

the same ol' can of worms...good job man...60' is probably as high as some of these guys givin' you crap have ever been....that tree will be fine...spurring up a fir tree here in the pacific north west is not gonna kill it ...no chance...as a forestry climber i spike up trees all day...saw limbs off with just one steelcore around the stem and its all good...(though we do have two lanyards on our belt when having to go over limbs) i think alot of the american rules are in place due to the fact tree service work is urban based...therefore alot of cidiots are swinging around saws...thats why my compo rate for tree service is higher than that of manual falling and bucking....you'd have to really work at it to cut through my 5/8 flipline as well as the one you're sporting....keep at it...just make sure you keep an eye on you gear and saw...check, check, recheck is the motto...stay safe!

I have been 175 foot a few times, but really that is a silly remark from
a person that usually posts well. Any fall over 20 foot is going to most
likely kill you! Standards in safety are wrote through fatalities,so;why
on a site like this would non professional advise be handed out to a
beginner? Spurs I agree, may not kill the tree but they do stress it and
if in a period of drought, just may contribute to its death! Now before
you say , so what, remember we are supposed to be professionals in
tree care.

Last edited:
I have been 175 foot a few times, but really that is a silly remark from
a person that usually posts well. Any fall over 20 foot is going to most
likely kill you! Standards in safety are wrote through fatalities,so;why
on a site like this would non professional advise be handed out to a
beginner? Spurs I agree, may not kill the tree but they do stress it and
if in a period of drought, just may contribute to its death! Now before
you say , so what, remember we are supposed to be professionals in
tree care.

I only got into the cambiem two or three times, Doug Fir bark is hardy and thick, 3" on the bottom of this tree, 1.5 or 2 on the top. What kind of Trees in Arkansas get 175 feet tall? That is even massive on the West Coast.

Last edited:
I only got into the cambiem two or three times, Doug Fir bark is hardy and thick, 3" on the bottom of this tree, 1.5 or 2 on the top. What kind of Trees in Arkansas get 175 feet tall? That is even massive on the West Coast.

Well since you asked,I have trimmed in around 6 states in my career.
In Michigan white poplar once, here in Arkansas it is tulip poplar and
London plane or Cyprus that reaches great height! Tulip was the tallest
I have personally climbed!

Come to think about it, there may have been a little scare
factor involved in my height measurements :laugh:

Last edited:
Good job man! For a first time climb that is impressive. Got to appreciate a guy willing to take the innitiative to learn. Good job on working with what you had. Stay safe and you will have plenty of time to progress. Wish you the best.

Hey burvol. Some of these guys may have gotten a littl out of hand with there comments but never the less theyre just looking out for you. This is a very dangerous business as im sure u know. They were just as harsh on me when i started posting here that i was gonna try it but all there advice was always good and has helped to keep me alive. I see where everyone is coming from with there posts. Lets all calm down and repember what this site is for. We all started somewhere. So go easy on the guy and help him out just as someone once did for us

I apprecitate the advice and all of the comments. I just wanted to make clear that I am even more green than a greenhorn at climbing. I did use the side of my foot in front of my spurs with calks, as well as the spurs. I can see how being dug deep into the bark it is hard to turn up the tree and does hurt it. I am pumped to get some better gear and try it again. I will definetly ask when the time comes. :cheers:

The rush of climbing fades after a while...

Guy, what about that Red Oak in St. Louis...if it had just been warmer? :)

The first step to solving a problem, is admitting you have a problem. Hi my name is Dave. And I'm a tree climber. See there, I admitted it.

After 40 years my day is always better having been up a tree. I didn't start tree climbing for altruistic reasons. It's simply a gas.

Burvol, I assume you knew what posting those pictures was going to bring out. Whereas you may be a newbie to tree climbing, you aren't a newbie to this site. Let me say that I have taught many climbers and for you to have successfully spurred 60 ft up and, presumably back down, on your first attempt shows some talent. Most guys will look like a wet spunge after 20 ft. from using unnecessary muscles and effort.

There is a lot to be learned still. You will find as many different points of view as there are climbing styles. Don't limit yourself and your potential. Try to hook up with somebody who can help you out. All too often I will see a really talented individual get locked into one style, or mind set, and that's as far as they go. You can't accurately judge all sides of a situation unless you have seen all sides of the situation. The more knowledge and skills you develop, the more freedom of choice you will have.

D Mc

Guy, what about that Red Oak in St. Louis...if it had just been warmer? :)
Yeah well the thrill may fade but the thrill is never gone; sorry BB King.:(

"ANSI Z133.1, 8.1.18 , Arborist shall have available a climbing line and at least one other means of being secured while working aloft; for example, an arborist climbing line and a work positioning lanyard."

Thank you sir for refreshing me on the Z; however as you read it you will see that the climbing line must be *available*, not installed, so double lanyarding to ascend with the line clipped to the belt (as I do it) is ANSI-approved, always has been.

You're welcome! :heart:

O and Burvol, 3 things are essential for beginners:

1. Respect yourself--stay safe.

2. Respect the tree--it's the reason you are climbing.

3. Re gear, the less you have to deal with, the less confused you can get.

I am not a climber, but a friend of mine that I cut for wanted me to limb up a decent fir (30" dbh & 100' roughly) for a "view shed" to the river below his house. I grabbed some old spurs my dad had from way back, a belt & rope, and few things and decided to do it. Not too much advice from my dad, but how to climb and get down. I started up and down a few feet for the feel of it (10-15') then hooked up the little Husky and went up. I made it right to the desired 55-60' mark and was pretty stoked. Climbing is something I want to get into for side work from cutting timber and tree removals. I actually know a guy who climbs and thought about doing some training with him, like roping techniques, other methods, safety, etc. How much denaro are we talking for a decent set of spurs (that don't break your legs like antique logging spurs with rotten foam and indoor/outdoor carpet for supplimental padding) and rope?

]

Burvol I am glad you got that job done for the friend without getting hurt. Even when being cautious we sometimes make mistakes. Chainsaw pushes and pulls you around differently when hanging in the tree as opposed to feet on the ground or calks dug in to somewhat horizontal stem. You've experienced that now and to get in touch with the "guy who climbs" and talk about "doing some training with him, like roping techniques, other methods, safety, etc." is an excellent idea! He might also have some equip to help you get started. By the way, don't think for a second that you can't cut through a steel-core flipline. If the nose of your bar is munching that flipline on the far side of the stem from you, and you don't know it? Handy to have a second tie in point (TIP) don't you think? Some of those guys were a little rough, but they meant well I think? I've met a few who are more passionate about trees than their next of kin. Good Luck!

Yeah well the thrill may fade but the thrill is never gone; sorry BB King.:(

"ANSI Z133.1, 8.1.18 , Arborist shall have available a climbing line and at least one other means of being secured while working aloft; for example, an arborist climbing line and a work positioning lanyard."

Thank you sir for refreshing me on the Z; however as you read it you will see that the climbing line must be *available*, not installed, so double lanyarding to ascend with the line clipped to the belt (as I do it) is ANSI-approved, always has been.

You're welcome! :heart:

O and Burvol, 3 things are essential for beginners:

1. Respect yourself--stay safe.

2. Respect the tree--it's the reason you are climbing.

3. Re gear, the less you have to deal with, the less confused you can get.

Treeseer you are one of those guys who just flat out refuses to be incorrect. Your erudite observations impress me however your smugness is almost comical. And you would beg to differ in a conversation with a stump.

Burvol,

Looks good to me for a first. You can certainly climb lighter and smarter, but you gotta start somewhere. Taking fairly small limbs with your chainsaw lanyard being a chain is probably not going to cause you any pain, however, as you progress into taking tops and larger limbs you may want to consider a break-away lanyard. The thought on this being if something hits that chain it may as well hit you, very unforgiving. Better to lose a saw than body parts or your life.
Good advise around here for the most part. Lots of folks with all kinds of experience. "Tree Climbers Companion" and anything by Jerry Beranek will help you tremendously.
Sounds like you've got your head screwed on straight so do some research and stay safe!

Beaver :greenchainsaw:

I admit I can be an A-hole sometimes but I was not referring to you or anything you did with the print it out sales tool deal but rather to the replies from some others who supposedly have been in the tree care business for some time. I simply pointed out that in the "tree service" business what you were doing has been established as dangerous through countless incidents of injuries. That's all. Nothing more and nothing else. It was some of the follow up comments by others that got me going because it was bad advice. I am big on safety, maybe too big, but I have seen people get hurt when it did not have to happen.

You are not too big on safety, anything can happen up there that will require really fast descent, injury, hornets nest or hard case of diarrhea. Climbing line even when you go up with spikes comes handy, and descent is such a fun, isn't it? When it comes to your "sales tool", of course they are out there, I seriously doubt however if they ever heard of arboristsite.com

Hey man, way to go. with a little instruction and better gear you will be well on your way. You most definitly have the nerve and balls for it, so go for it. I can't say I limbed up 60' of fir with a felling saw on my first climb. stay at it.

my first climbing saw was the ps540. i needed something i could use in the air and on the ground. lol. hey, it got me a few other saws and tools for my climbing kit. i love that thing.

anyway more importantly.

good for you B. awesome. if you are serious about the spike setup you want its gonna cost you some money but it is what it is. maybe get a used pair from someone you know or trust. 150 or so.

or buy your own setup. and go big time while you do it. i know my next set of spikes will be them komet spikes. lol

right now i am on some bashlins with the steel superwrap. definitely better setup out there but hey, i dont mind em.

good luck with the climbing bud. i mean you already know how to run a saw on the ground. and that right there is huge when it comes to starting off climbing.

if i can help you with your new found climbing technique let me know.

stay safe.

Treeseer you are one of those guys who just flat out refuses to be incorrect. Your erudite observations impress me however your smugness is almost comical. And you would beg to differ in a conversation with a stump.

:hmm3grin2orange:

LXT........

Back in the 60's a 3/4 manilla/hemp flip line /ajustable & 1/2 " manilla /hemp x 120ft. saddle line. Next was a nylon/hemp combination 3 stand rope/hardlay. We used to go to the Ahmish ( saddle & harness makers ) they would measure you & then custom make a tree saddle for you. We would give $125-150 for this service. They would hand stitch the leather & burr & rivet D-rings for the seat & lanyard, four in all. Saddle soap & a sore butt before you got it broken in. All premium leather, with steel inserts for the D-rings. Next a good hand saw, Push-Pull, next came the back cut saws. First good climbing saw a C-51 Homelite. Ground & bucking saw Homelite Super 77 gear saw w/ 36" bar & 1/2" oregon chain. A lot of improvements have taken place, but it takes a heck of a man to leave the ground & kiss the sky. My hats off to you & yours. Good luck with future climbs & keep trying to learn all you can. I love all the modern gear & still enjoy climbing at 63 yrs. old. Looking foward to seeing more of your posts.

Burvol, sorry to hijack the thread away from your good efforts and honest moves toward advancement, but one of our colleagues seems to be stuck:

What you are doing the way you are doing it is dangerous. You are not even tied in . Don't end up in the obits.....I simply pointed out that in the "tree service" business what you were doing has been established as dangerous through countless incidents of injuries. That's all. Nothing more and nothing else.
Mr. mckee, your twice-repeated point seems to be that double-lanyard ascending is incorrect and inherently unsafe. Then you quoted the ANSI Z standard which quite clearly states otherwise.

If you choose to go beyond ANSI that is your business, but i do not think it's nice to berate a new climber for not going there with you. If you think ANSI Z needs to call for being tied in above at all times while ascending, you may want to suggest that to the founder of this board, Mr. Dunlap. Tom is usually glad to review these matters in great detail, about which he is eminently knowledgeable.

You and I can agree that Mr. Burvol should have had a climbing line available, per ANSI. I hope we can also agree that once we raise a point we should be able to defend it, and follow it to its logical conclusion.

Peace, brudda.

:popcorn:

Burvol, sorry to hijack the thread away from your good efforts and honest moves toward advancement, but one of our colleagues seems to be stuck:

Mr. mckee, your twice-repeated point seems to be that double-lanyard ascending is incorrect and inherently unsafe. Then you quoted the ANSI Z standard which quite clearly states otherwise.

If you choose to go beyond ANSI that is your business, but i do not think it's nice to berate a new climber for not going there with you. If you think ANSI Z needs to call for being tied in above at all times while ascending, you may want to suggest that to the founder of this board, Mr. Dunlap. Tom is usually glad to review these matters in great detail, about which he is eminently knowledgeable.

You and I can agree that Mr. Burvol should have had a climbing line available, per ANSI. I hope we can also agree that once we raise a point we should be able to defend it, and follow it to its logical conclusion.

Peace, brudda.

:popcorn:

Agreed.

Back