First craigslist attempt for free wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cityevader

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A couple new ads popped up yeaterday. Out of four, was only able to connect with one of them. Took two trips since they were green and heavy. It's Camphor, which smells absolutely wonderful, but I've no idea how it'll burn (next year of course). Thinking of making some strips to hang in the closet to smell!

Great score !!! I used to have decent luck on Craigslist...... until heating oil went through the roof. In the past year i'd say i've scored zero, but i keep trying!

I like your Truck!!

That truck was the best investment i ever made...also a craigslist score!
99.4% rust-free 1971 F250 Camper Special. $1500, plus maybe $600 in parts.
Had it loaded with concrete rubble for 17 trips to the dump. The last trip felt a little heavier than the rest...as in I could just start to feel a change in handling etc, and it scaled in at 8850 lbs, well over the door sticker of 7500lbs...but it still drove like a go-cart!

Good score on the firewood and I like your truck too. I just think that those old body styles look so much better than todays trucks.

I had a 1988 Ford F250 HD that I bought new. It had a GVWR of 8800 lbs. I sure wish that I still had that truck for hauling firewood.

There's a little of that stuff in this years pile out there . Its not real high on the list but better than pine or cedar .

There's a little of that stuff in this years pile out there . Its not real high on the list but better than pine or cedar .

I'm a wood scrounge, i'll take anything i can get for free!

Strange, I live in the middle of the forest, and can't get any wood! I border up against Castle Rock State Park and Big Basin State Park, where gathering is a huge no-no. I just have to wait for things to fall in my lap.

There are many many many full-time wood-scroungers around here with no real jobs that nab things while I'm wrenching away at work all day.

I'm a wood scrounge, i'll take anything i can get for free!

Strange, I live in the middle of the forest, and can't get any wood! I border up against Castle Rock State Park and Big Basin State Park, where gathering is a huge no-no. I just have to wait for things to fall in my lap.

There are many many many full-time wood-scroungers around here with no real jobs that nab things while I'm wrenching away at work all day.

Yeah pretty slim pickins this year for hard woods. There was one lady on craigs list a wile back up on top of skyline at route # 9 that had an oak grove they wanted removed. As I recall $ 25 bucks a load . Hang in there oak root fungas isnt going away. Dont be fooled when it comes to oak if it has large leaves a lot bigger than 50 cent piece & is dead thet species is no good.

What is Camphor? Kind of looks like the Boxelders we have around here.

Not sure what family it belongs to, but I tell you what, if it's offered to me again, I'd have to be rather desparate to take it.
The novel smell becomes revolting after splitting a short while, like you're just drowning in Vick's Vapo-Rub.
:crazy1:
Plus, the grain is similar to Eucalyptus, all woven together requiring the splitter to 2nd stage very often and needs to extend to it's last bit of travel, I even stuck a chunk of 2X10 on the toe plate to get full throw.

All in all, makes for a very tedious job, and if it's only a little better than pine or cedar? Whew!
Worth it? Depends if have any other wood already!

By the looks of the second pic it had some rotted out black area . Thats the way I found it in some places. Really a strange yech of a smell. Bugs in there eating it.

Actually, the black stuff was really, really, really wet heartwood. It was just cut down yesterday, split today...dripping wet...no bugs, no rot, just stench.

A couple new ads popped up yeaterday. Out of four, was only able to connect with one of them. Took two trips since they were green and heavy. It's Camphor, which smells absolutely wonderful, but I've no idea how it'll burn (next year of course). Thinking of making some strips to hang in the closet to smell!

Not sure what family it belongs to, but I tell you what, if it's offered to me again, I'd have to be rather desparate to take it.
The novel smell becomes revolting after splitting a short while, like you're just drowning in Vick's Vapo-Rub.
:crazy1:
Plus, the grain is similar to Eucalyptus, all woven together requiring the splitter to 2nd stage very often and needs to extend to it's last bit of travel, I even stuck a chunk of 2X10 on the toe plate to get full throw.

All in all, makes for a very tedious job, and if it's only a little better than pine or cedar? Whew!
Worth it? Depends if have any other wood already!

So, you are rethinking the idea of smelling it year round ? J/K I used to love the smell of Black Walnut on the fire. Ugh ! now it is one of the last things that goes on. Maybe throw it on a litle at a trime after it has seasoned and it won't be so overpowering. but then if you dont like it , you don't like it.

:cheers: on the nice score anyway. Maybe you can sell it on craigslist as a specialty wood for outrageous amounts , 10 chunks at a time.

Latest posts

Back