first ever pawn shop purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
X2 on pawn shops being way crazy on pricing around here. Broken junk priced HIGHER than new for most tools. Just plain stupid as I refusr to even start negotiating with the

If this is an ex-HD saw and the bar is black, then dump both the B/C (save for stump work or digging a trench).

Pretty sure I can rule out a HD saw. Almost all of the white Makita paint is still on the bar and the bar looks to have never been flipped over. The chain looks to be original never sharpened to when I just got a file after it. The only thing I have found so far is that it has been ran with a loose chain and dinged up the metal guard prong looking thing underneath and a few drive teeth. A couple of cutters had some minor nicks, mostly just dull. No chewed up or missing nuts, screws, or bolts. Not even any marks on any of them. Have to wonder if the saw is a wee bit warm but people do buy any saw they can find after a named storm here in south Louisiana and then often sell it when they have no other use for it. The picture with my first post is exactly how I bought it, didn't even wipe it down so it has a little honest dirt and oil on it. Took the bar off and flipped it over, not much in the way of build-up inside the cover either.

The oil pump adjustment is set wide open and I haven't been able to adjust it yet with any of my screwdrivers, guess I will have to grind one to fit. Not necessarily a bad thing anyway, I spend a good bit of time either in dry wood, blocking, or both.

No manual on it and while I found a couple online I haven't been able to download one yet. Haven't checked on the Dolmar. The fast idle doesn't seem to work, or works differently than I am used to. I go through the motions of setting it just in case, choke for one or two pulls until it pops off a little then push the choke in and it starts next pull or two.

Not thrilled with how it cuts but I'll try a couple loops of real chain before I fuss too much. It cuts "OK" in limited testing, I was just hoping for a little better.

Hu

I agree, that's not a HD expatriate.

You need to tighten the starter rope a turn and clean the dirt dabber nest out of the handle.:cool:

That cell phone takes better pictures than I thought! :D:D:D

You are right on both counts, about the dirt dabber nest and the starter rope. Went into the other side first, thought the chain brake wasn't working. Turns out it just had a good bit of slack before it moves the brake itself and locks things up. A big slot in the linkage so I assume a design feature.

Hu

Just an update. Put Stihl RSC on the saw and it cuts like I had in mind. Getting cold tonight so my brother was up here to pick up a little firewood. Cut small six or eight foot logs down to firewood length and then halved and quartered many of them. Knee deep in noodles in just a short short. My brother watched the saw biting into the already seasoned logs and commented, "You have been saying you wanted a real chainsaw, I'd say you got one!"

It ain't a monster but it is a runner. I'm pretty pleased!

Hu

I have had good luck at pawn shops, my latest saw acquisition was a Stihl 460 I picked up in Beckley,WV. I was headed to VA and calling pawn shops along the way. After calling a dozen or so and coming up empty I was told this shop had a big saw.

Turns out it was a 460 that was missing the tag, don't think the shop owner knew what it was. He wanted $150, I got it for $130 OTD. My other finds have been another 460, a 310, an 056, Husky 61, Pioneer P-39, Partner 400, Mac 10-10, Shindiawa 757, Poulan 3400, Craftsman 3.7, Remington Mighty Mite ($5) and a Makita 510 & 520. I have also bought a Stihl 025 and 028 in pawn shop parking lots.

I have had good luck at pawn shops, my latest saw acquisition was a Stihl 460 I picked up in Beckley,WV. I was headed to VA and calling pawn shops along the way. After calling a dozen or so and coming up empty I was told this shop had a big saw.

Turns out it was a 460 that was missing the tag, don't think the shop owner knew what it was. He wanted $150, I got it for $130 OTD. My other finds have been another 460, a 310, an 056, Husky 61, Pioneer P-39, Partner 400, Mac 10-10, Shindiawa 757, Poulan 3400, Craftsman 3.7, Remington Mighty Mite ($5) and a Makita 510 & 520. I have also bought a Stihl 025 and 028 in pawn shop parking lots.

I haven't even bothered with pawn shops in many years, for anything. Guess I will have to take a look when I happen to be by one. Not chasing another saw right now but like most keeping an eye open. After the first of the year when the firewood season is winding down I'm thinking about sticking up some signs on bulletin boards here and there, 60cc+ saw wanted. Price depending on condition. Might turn up a few old beasts, I'm in farm country.

Hu

Latest posts

Back