First Fell with the MS361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLHX Storm

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Lost somewhere in the mountains of the southeast!
This was the third time I had run the MS361. Twice before just playing around in some cookies. But today I removed the 20" B&C and added a 24". The next tree on the list to be felled was a poplar up behind my house with a slight back lean of maybe 5 feet. I was so excited I almost completely forgot to turn on the camera so part of the face cut being made is missing. I used a conventional cut this time just because I had already shown videos with the Humbolt and the Open Faced cuts.

As for the saw, all I can say is damn that thing can cut which is also why I was a bit cautious since it was the first felling with that chainsaw. I also removed a mid sized black birch and a hickory that were in the area, ALL back n side leaners! :eek: Those last two are not felled in the video. So I have a lot of wood to buck n split for firewood!

The camera wasn't at the right angle so a lot of what I was looking at y'all can't see dang it!But, if you look at the 3:38 - 3:39 spot, you'll see me smack my hand with the backside of that hatchet!

Last edited:
Good job Storm, Ya got it down.
Thanks, it went where I wanted it to go and if the camera would have had the right viewing angle y'all would have seen a orange top of a 5 gallon bucket I had placed as my target. The birch I laid next to the poplar and the hickory I had to aim differently since it was a bit down the slowp and I needed it to come up. Those are in the pictures at the beginning of the video (still standing)

BTW, all of those were a threat to my house, and since the winter winds are starting to kick up, I figured it best to take them down post haste. There have been a couple of trees I see that were taken out recently by the wind, and there is another by the paved road that is ready to come down caused by the same winds.

The 361 is one of my favorite saws to run. Good power to weight and just fun to cut with. Thanks for the video.

Beefie

I love me some 361 !

Looks like you were a bit high on the back cut, causing you to convince it with a lot of wedge activity. Goal accomplished--it's on the ground, and you and the saw are safe. Good job!

Two things, thanks for not running an ad before the video, and how in the world do you hit those wedges with you left hand. If I had a tried that the bark would be off the tree before I ever hit a wedge.

Was your back cut a little high from your face cut. I don't know what preferred. I cut mine a little closer together. Is that wrong? But got it down and where you wanted it. Good job.

A little deeper face and less stump shot would have wedged over easier.:) Good job on it and the only thing that made me nervous was going around the front to check the end of the bar. ;)

I love me some 361 !

Looks like you were a bit high on the back cut, causing you to convince it with a lot of wedge activity. Goal accomplished--it's on the ground, and you and the saw are safe. Good job!

Well heck, any higher and I could have called this thread "Topping a tree with an MS361" or something like that. But I do agree it was a bit high on the back side. My excuse (though not valid) is my having difficulty maintaining my footing. It's hard to balance on that kind of slope, that close to the tree.

The 361 is my new favorite saw!

IMG_1790_zps29da1928.jpg

Two things, thanks for not running an ad before the video, and how in the world do you hit those wedges with you left hand. If I had a tried that the bark would be off the tree before I ever hit a wedge.

Was your back cut a little high from your face cut. I don't know what preferred. I cut mine a little closer together. Is that wrong? But got it down and where you wanted it. Good job.
Really, I have no control over the adds that do appear before these YouTube videos. I know I hate them myself.

N hitting those wedges with my left hand? Umm, I'm left handed silly! (n we do EVERYTHING different)

Yes, the back cut was a bit on the high side. But it was a compromise between falling over and getting a straight cut. I do prefer mine to be 2 inches up from the face cut at the absolute maximum. This one was easily twice that.

Did you shoot the video with a head cam?
I used a ContourHD camera attached to the side of my safety helmet. But, I have the base velcroed on since I have other applications I use the base for. On my motorcycle helmet, I have it taped on with that heavy duty double sided tape used in keeping chrome trim n stuff in place on a truck, car, or motorcycle making it almost a permanent mount.

A little deeper face and less stump shot would have wedged over easier.:) Good job on it and the only thing that made me nervous was going around the front to check the end of the bar. ;)
Thanks! As for my checking the end of the bar, actually I was checking the thickness of the hinge. I have a habit of cutting though them on one side which also redirects the fell. N this saw, just pull on the throttle for a second on a polpar and it cuts a couple of inches. Kind of exciting and scary at the same time. But yep, that was pretty stupid of me going around the front of the tree like that. If I had heard one crack or felt any movement, I would have been gone like a fart in the wind. I may be an old lady with legs that don't really work very well, but in an emergency situation, I'm long gone.

Good to see you again, you have been missed.

Well, it's nice to know that people still remember me around here. This site definitely has outlived many others, and it gets referred to the most on all the other forest, arbor and hearth forums out there. It was really funny when I got into a debate with a guy recently on another site and he used my posts here to support his claims... then this site went into limbo with all the hacking, and it got a lot of attention, mine included.

Love my 361 too. I know exactly what you are saying about being afraid of it at first. When cutting rounds out of a log I always felt like I was catching the saw compared to cutting with other saws. Once I got used to it I have a tough time selecting my other saws unless I am tired then its the old 49 every time. Keep up the good work.

Well, it's nice to know that people still remember me around here. This site definitely has outlived many others, and it gets referred to the most on all the other forest, arbor and hearth forums out there. It was really funny when I got into a debate with a guy recently on another site and he used my posts here to support his claims... then this site went into limbo with all the hacking, and it got a lot of attention, mine included.
Yup, most of the oldies remember you. Matter of fact someone ask where you was the other day here. Your wisdom is missed here.

Wisdom??? <blink blink>

Hey, where is that monkey smiley/moniker? Or the beat the dead horse one? We need better smileys!

Latest posts

Back