first fire in new Jotul............finially

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hangnail

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well it has been a roller coater summer getting things ready for winter, between my plow truck and the wood stove.
I have cut trees for several years, and have either given away or sold off the wood, since I did not burn. I wanted to, too many other things took the stove money away. Anyways so after picking out the Jotul castine 400 and adding a flexable liner (bought online, great deal, free shipping too) to my current ceremic chimney, and trying to order the short leg kit for the stove, and track down resonably priced seasoned wood, I finially had a cure burn last night. what a feeling, stinks bad, but thats just the curing process. So easy to light, gets a great draught, no wood smoke back at all. I think I will light it again tonight for the 3 rd time to make sure it is fully cured, and the stove no longer gives off an odor. The stove makes for awesome veiwing too. surprising take a while to get any heat from it, which I quess is good, becuase once it got hot, and I shut the air down to extiquish the fire, it held the heat for hours.

2 things I was thinking about, not that i need it, but could I add brick to this stove, I think it will cut my fire box size down too much, but maybe next year when i do the splitting I can plan for that

I was also wondering about adding coal to a wood burning stove. can it be done and what are the benifits, I have just under 4 cords so it should do me ok, but if i had a back up, or substitute it might be an option

Only put coal in a stove rated for coal. Coal burns WAY hotter than wood and can melt your flue connector and other things you may need.

Nice stove and I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I've owned two and they were both great stoves. I sent you a PM about that flex flue when you get a chance Hangnail.

What site did you buy your liner from? Any problems, shipping fast enough?
I need to install one on my fireplace and was looking at a couple different places online but wasn't sure how good they might be.

What site did you buy your liner from? Any problems, shipping fast enough?
I need to install one on my fireplace and was looking at a couple different places online but wasn't sure how good they might be.

from here

free shipping, fast delivery, knowledgeable people on the phone, i called a few times about various questions after purchase and they were very helpful

2 things I was thinking about, not that i need it, but could I add brick to this stove, I think it will cut my fire box size down too much, but maybe next year when i do the splitting I can plan for that

I was also wondering about adding coal to a wood burning stove. can it be done and what are the benifits, I have just under 4 cords so it should do me ok, but if i had a back up, or substitute it might be an option

Jotuls don't need brick added. You won't have to worry about cracking/damaging them.

Also, once you do your first full-blown fire you will notice the Castine will heat up pretty quickly.

thanks, I'm really looking forward to be burning more soon. I'm just watchiung the temp drop, but its just not quite low enough

Good choice of stove, and don't worry about how much heat the stove throws during curing, because the process is specifically designed to keep the stove from really heating up. When you fire the Castine up for the first time with the firebox full and the damper open, you will sit back and smile. I run two Jotul Oslos and couldn't be happier.

Don't add any extra bricks and DON'T BURN COAL.

Best of luck for many years with you new stove.

from here

free shipping, fast delivery, knowledgeable people on the phone, i called a few times about various questions after purchase and they were very helpful

Thanks, That's the one I was thinking, actually the first one to pop on a search and looked like the best.

You'll love it!

Howdy Hangnail, we got our Castine last Dec. Had no experience with wood stoves atall, much less cutting wood/chainsaws. we put ours in the kichen.
Have an old center cape house with 3 fireplaces. Put a small fan in the doorway as suggested. Need to get much better this winter with getting it
to heat thru-out the nite. Now if I can find someone to empty the ash tray and clean the glass each day I'll b all set. I'm open to any tips u can share and I'll do likewise.
Grew up in Mass. Recall a great joint we used to drink n dance at in Auburn and also our H/S hockey practice times at 3am LOL
Fran

Howdy Hangnail, we got our Castine last Dec. Had no experience with wood stoves atall, much less cutting wood/chainsaws. we put ours in the kichen.
Have an old center cape house with 3 fireplaces. Put a small fan in the doorway as suggested. Need to get much better this winter with getting it
to heat thru-out the nite. Now if I can find someone to empty the ash tray and clean the glass each day I'll b all set. I'm open to any tips u can share and I'll do likewise.
Grew up in Mass. Recall a great joint we used to drink n dance at in Auburn and also our H/S hockey practice times at 3am LOL
Fran

I didnt grow up here, kinda landed here when looking for houses, my wife and I are from the cape. were just far enough to keep the parents and random visitors away, but not too far for a day trip.

Latest posts

Back