First fire of the year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How cold does it have to get inside your house before you build a fire? It was 28° last night. I'm already on my 4th or 5th fire in the last 3 weeks. When inside my house gets down below 60° its time to light a fire. It's not like I'm burning propane, why wait??

How cold does it have to get inside your house before you build a fire? It was 28° last night. I'm already on my 4th or 5th fire in the last 3 weeks. When inside my house gets down below 60° its time to light a fire. It's not like I'm burning propane, why wait??

I haven't started mine yet, but it's usually somewhere around when the house gets to be 58° or so.

I like it cool in the house at night, sleep better when it's 50-60 or so at night. Usually the sun coming in the south & east windows warms it up pretty quick as long as it isn't any cooler than that. If it's cloudy or if the house isn't warming up from "solar" heat I throw on a flannel shirt, if that doesn't do it I would light the stove. I've always prefered cool weather to the hot weather.

Yep, inside woodstove fires here past two mornings as well. Down to around 28 F. And since I have a wood-fired water heater outside that I use all summer, why not bring the fire inside as soon as possible? Wood fuel is cheap.

Summer storms brought down many trees on my land. Mostly balsam fir that is low-grade fuel but it's all around and easy to get.

It seems to early but the last 2 mornings I even had to let my car warm up to get the ice/frost off the windshield to drive to work. I throw a few pieces of nice dry pine in the stove as soon as I get up and take the chill out of the house. Btw our house is not insulated the greatest either its a old 2 story farm house.

I'm wearing a sweatshirt right now...me thinks it's clean the chimney and go buy some kindling weekend!

The days of quick take the chill out burns can't be too far off.

I'm wearing a sweatshirt right now...me thinks it's clean the chimney and go buy some kindling weekend!

The days of quick take the chill out burns can't be too far off.

Buy kindling?!?!?!? Explain pleese :msp_w00t:

I cleaned the chimney liner this week because the temperature is starting to drop at night. I'll try to hold off lighting a fire for a few more weeks, or until the wife threatens to turn the furnace on.

Well, last night was 41 and today barely got into the 60s, but it was sunny. My house has a southern exposure, so inside temps got up to about 67. Now that the sun is down, inside temps dropped to 62, so...I lit up the stove (a Harman).

I swear I was just out at the wood pile back in May when there were a few nights in the 40s.

Anyway, it's good to have it running again. Tropical storm Irene brought down a few trees behind my house (one landed on my shed) so I've been out with the saws getting that stuff cut up and ready to split. That wood will be for the 2013-2014 season.

If you split your own wood you should have plenty of kindling laying around the splitting area. I have also never heard of anyone buying kindling wood.

It's gotten down into the high 30's here a few times in the past week, I've been dealing with it and the house has retained some warmth through the evening most nights.
Last night the temperature was 56 degrees inside and I lit the wood stove for the first time.
I have a bunch of punky wood I plan on burning this fall so I started the fire with a few decent oak logs and then filled the stove with the punk. It burned for a couple of hours and heated the downstairs to the high 70's. I closed the damper down a little, put another Oak log in and went to bed. It was 74 downstairs when I got up this AM.
Gotta love a wood stove!

Buy kindling?!?!?!? Explain pleese :msp_w00t:

$4/bundle from a guy who works for a custom moulding shop. He takes the shop waste home and runs it through a chop saw.

Stuffs like solidified diesel for starting a fire :)

I go through a bundle every two weeks beginning and end of the season, and maybe one from Dec 1st to Mar 15th.

If you split your own wood you should have plenty of kindling laying around the splitting area.

Huh?

I split by hand. Unless I really botch my aim, I'm making firewood, not kindling. And usually I split in the woods, so I'm not grubbing around in the leaves for the little amount of bark.

Last edited:
$4/bundle from a guy who works for a custom moulding shop. He takes the shop waste home and runs it through a chop saw.

Stuffs like solidified diesel for starting a fire :)

I go through a bundle every two weeks beginning and end of the season, and maybe one from Dec 1st to Mar 15th.

Huh?

I split by hand. Unless I really botch my aim, I'm making firewood, not kindling. And usually I split in the woods, so I'm not grubbing around in the leaves for the little amount of bark.

I was actually thinking about that post last night. Most of the time I don't even need any kindling to get my fires going. I tend to use a couple of starter logs that have some splitting and strings hanging off them.
Bunch up a little bit of paper, place the logs over that and with a few blast from my bellows the fire has started!

Heheheheh...

The last time I bought kindling... Gasp! I've never bought kindling. :dizzy:

this stuff sells OK Fatwood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Small but steady industry in my state. You see bags of it along with bundled firewood.

Around here, if you tried to sell pure pine, etc as firewood, good luck. But fatlighter, people will buy it.

As to buying kindling in general or like that, I've worked shops (furniture factories before most of them got offshored) that sold their scraps, one place sold a pickup load for three bucks (seventies money) and they sold all of it, all that the employees didn't want, and that was in an area rich with cheap hardwood firewood. People would buy cords..but that shop had folks coming in all the time for hardwood scraps, and they would gladly pay for it.

Something about kiln dried scrap...whoosh! Insta heat. And fat lighter is just amazing, just as good or better as those processed firewood log things.

Latest posts

Back