First full day LL24

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJR

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Following are pictures from my first full day running a LumberLite 24. It took most of Sat. There are about 95 1" by 6.5" by 80" boards with some bigger ones as well. The logs I bucked with my ATV. I was hoping to work the bugs out of the mill before I moved it to my farm. Needless to say I need to find some more logs. I am glad my neigbors are still on vacation - joke. I have not posted pictures before. I am using photobucket. The logs are storm damaged Ash. Here it goes.
sawmill.jpg

wood.jpg

woodb.jpg

I may write a review of the mill once I have it running the way I want it. There has been quality issues. Does anyone think this is worth while?

Following are pictures from my first full day running a LumberLite 24. It took most of Sat. There are about 95 1" by 6.5" by 80" boards with some bigger ones as well. The logs I bucked with my ATV. I was hoping to work the bugs out of the mill before I moved it to my farm. Needless to say I need to find some more logs. I am glad my neigbors are still on vacation - joke. I have not posted pictures before. I am using photobucket. The logs are storm damaged Ash. Here it goes.
sawmill.jpg

wood.jpg

woodb.jpg

I may write a review of the mill once I have it running the way I want it. There has been quality issues. Does anyone think this is worth while?

Nice pics there MJR. Anytime that you can get lumber like that from salvaged trees it is definitely worth your while! Just a few tips from another newbie, try to get stickers close to the ends of your stacks and align them above one another. Great job!!!!!

Good job, nice pics, I envy you the room you have there to work. What do you plan to do with all that ash, are you a woodworker?

Milling Ash with LumberLite

Good looking lumber. The man who made my bandmill (he's made 86 or so), says that about 90% of all problems can be traced to the band; tension, alignment, tooth setting, lubricant &c.

Just look at the price of milled ash on Ebay!

Doing it with your own two hands......Priceless!

I am no woodworker. The only thing I accomplish on my woodworking projects is a more creative vocabulary. I am getting into milling out of necessity. I had a great relationship with a sawyer. I would drop my logs off, come back in a week or so and pick up my boards. This would cost just a few coins. He could also TG (nice). This gentleman died and I have no other mills close to me. This is why I bought the LL24. I have a piece of property that has a life time of wood on it. I have also converted a lot of my tillable land over to trees (26,000 seedlings – Norway, Red Pine, and European Larch). My last big project was building a cabin at the lake. When I open it up in a couple of weeks I will take some pictures. The only pictures I have are pre-digital. My next project is to build a hunting camp/cabin at my “tree farm”. The boards in this post may end-up in this project? I was going to use Hemlock for the framing and Ash for the board and bat. I thought I would have all the logs for this project already staged but this spring has been very wet and snowy. I have also had many more problems with the mill then expected. I will try to get some more logs for this weekend and finally get the gremlins out of the mill. I am using Lenox Woodmaster blades and went though two of them (dulled) with the logs in the pictures. I will post more pictures Monday. Thanks for the feed back. It is fun being a newbie – I have all the excuses I need.

I have a LM2000 and saw full time and think that it is far and away the best saw for the money. That being said you will find that ash is harder on blades than most others. Did you use lube? It is a neccesity. Ash saws harder than locust, and the longer it is down the harder it is to saw. You HAVE to change blades OFTEN . I can say that, that is not the saws problem. But ash sawn correctley is worth the effort.

I Am Planing On Buying A Mill

sawmill.jpg

wood.jpg

woodb.jpg

how do

i will be checking to see how you come out with your mill and hope that you will posting more about your milling. i will be buying a mill next fall and will probally be milling some ash,red oak, and maybe cottonwood.

thank you for the photos.

talcott

Hello Skip, a quick question for you. I was only using water on the blade. Do you use something else than water and window washer fluid? I am very open to any ideas. I wasn't having problems with the blades or cutting head. The track is giving me problems. Connie at Ucut in Jamesville NY spend 45minutes with me going over the different type of blades and the correct maintenance of them. This was the most educational 45 minutes I have spent in a very long time. This weekend I found some freebie cherry. The logs are short, about five feet. Any recommendations? Thank you for the feed back.

I use a product called Ballistol half an ounce per gallon it emulsifies but acts like a lube and a cleaner. I first saw it at a gun show years ago great for cleaning black powder. A buddy of mine gets it wholesale thru his job. Dish washing soap (Dawn) and or pinesol also work good together or seperate, about an ounce per gallon give or take. As for the cherry I'd try cutting dry if its green , check sawdust to see if it's warm and if blade is warm.

Back