First Grinder Suggestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronB

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
*****I posted this in another area, but was advised this might be a better place, to be honest I looked for a sharpening forum but must of missed it, so here is my original post********

I got approved by SWMBO that I could get a bench top grinder to help speed up sharpening my chains, probably let me father-in-law use it as well.

I have been deciding between the Maxx Grinder and the Oregon w/hydraulic assist grinder, not much difference in price.

Opinions on these two, suggestions. Will be sharpening my ripping chains of course plus the regular chains, so I guess I need on that will do between 10 & 35 degrees top angle (if I am saying that correctly?) maybe all grinders do this.

Remember I have never used one of these before or seen one, what I am not sure of is how a grinding wheel make the gullet rounded like a round file does when I hand sharpen. Would a grinding wheel make it more square?

Thanks for any info.
(p.s. I haven't done any searches to see if this has been discussed before since I haven't had time yet.)

what I am not sure of is how a grinding wheel make the gullet rounded like a round file does when I hand sharpen. Would a grinding wheel make it more square?
The grinding wheel has a round profile. From time to time you dress the wheel (a dressing stick is normally supplied with Oregon/Tecomec grinders) to maintain the round profile.

It'll make more sense when you get your grinder. Come back and ask more questions then.

Back