First Major Tree !!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Amoungst My Saws........Fool That Has Too Many!!!
I know I don't have the abilities that alot of the members here have. But I thought you might like to see some pictures of the first major tree I took down.This was in my backyard. I removed it when I felt I could handle it. Silver Maple, DBH about 35". I don't have a digital camera yet. Local drug store scanned the negatives and put them on CD.

Last edited:
Great pics and job, Rich. Don't be too modest, I'l bet you are a great arborist, and better than 90 %. Plus you want to learn all the time...

How many yrs ago was that?

How this, I lightened her up a tad...

Mike Maas

Originally posted by Mike Maas
Looks like you kicked that tree's a$$! Very good job.
What's that funny looking teal colored saw, sitting by the gas and oil?

My brother-in-law helped me on this one. That is a Homelite Super XL. The saw is only 8 to 10 yrs. old but it looks almost 25 yrs. old. I tried running it, no go, felt like a hard tail Harley. Little if no anti-vibe. Got half way thru the log and reached for the 044 that I had at the time.

That aint no small tree! Looks like it was a fun one for your first big one.

Originally posted by rbtree
Great pics and job, Rich. Don't be too modest, I'l bet you are a great arborist, and better than 90 %. Plus you want to learn all the time...

How many yrs ago was that?

How this, I lightened her up a tad...

Roger, that was in spring of 1999. The picture lightened up good, thanx. How did you do that?

I did read your posts on the 488. I am glad it runs good. Check out my post on the chainsaw forum: Test Drive Time. This was my first attempt at any real saw work. That Shindaiwa 360 is insane !!!!!!!

I guess Rich likes his 360. It earned 7 exclamation points instead of the typical 3. :rolleyes:

Great pics, Rich. Looks like a fairly tight landing area and those are some fairly large chunks you were roping down. I guess you were not too nervous, I tend to take smaller pieces when my sphincter muscles are contracted! :p

Originally posted by treeclimber165

Great pics, Rich. Looks like a fairly tight landing area and those are some fairly large chunks you were roping down. I guess you were not too nervous. :p

Brian,

I was fortunate to have a cemetary behind the fence for the big trunkwood. This one I felt pretty comfortable in.

cute

Tim,
If a guy comes to you with these pictures and says he'd like to tackle a bigger tree you are not going to hire him because it is just a cute little tree??? Bull !!! You'd be impressed that for a first tree this guy has the balls to tackle this tree. It is difficult for the small landing zone, it has a hollow to worry about, it is on a hillside adding to the difficulty, the fence is too close for real comfort and I see this guy knows enough to cover the edge of the fence so he doesn't snag his ropes on it, a money saver on rope costs. Taking down a piece that large is not for the faint of heart on a tree with a hollow in it.
Nobody got hurt and another plus is he didn't put it through the top of the shed what more could you ask for Tim? You want him to post it on your thread?

Hey Tim, here's some more cute little trees for ya!!!

pretty, huh...!?

rog, the reformed tree topper, now a flopper...

They're about 90-100 footers, I'd reckon, Tim. I haven't checked, but think they are gone now. Homeowner may have climbed them himself, then maybe hired someone to cut em down.

Re: cute

Originally posted by geofore
Tim,
If a guy comes to you with these pictures and says he'd like to tackle a bigger tree you are not going to hire him because it is just a cute little tree??? Bull !!! You'd be impressed that for a first tree this guy has the balls to tackle this tree. It is difficult for the small landing zone, it has a hollow to worry about, it is on a hillside adding to the difficulty, the fence is too close for real comfort and I see this guy knows enough to cover the edge of the fence so he doesn't snag his ropes on it, a money saver on rope costs. Taking down a piece that large is not for the faint of heart on a tree with a hollow in it.
Nobody got hurt and another plus is he didn't put it through the top of the shed what more could you ask for Tim? You want him to post it on your thread?

I would not hire a person based on pictures. A picture never gives a tree justice with regard to size or conditions around it. Pictures also do not show everything that took place during the removal. It does not show the length of time the job took, how confident the climber was or how good his skills are. It does not show a possible “oops” that might have taken place.

When we were hiring climbers we based the decision on the climber’s knowledge. He would not be handed a W2 form if he could not demonstrate climbing and rigging knots right there in the “yard”. If and when the climber was hired he was put on a small tree with little or no danger to targets around it so that his actual climbing skills could be assessed. Then after proving his abilities and safe working practices he was given larger and more dangerous trees.

My hat is off to you Rich. Keep us posted on your progression.

Thank you to Darin for cleaning it up. I have to agree with you Tim, on trying the guy out in the yard to see what he knows first. I met Rich and had him come out to look at a tree with me after seeing his pics and meeting him in person. I told him I would find a 100'er we could climb together (see Estimating Weight thread). I found a few more trees to do this week and we will do a tree together. I will know what he can do when we do it and I'm up there with him. I have to go look at six cherrytrees, be back in an hour or two.

Latest posts

Back