First milling (cherry slabs)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danieltree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got my mill yesterday, put together last night and started figuring it out this morning. It really is simple and easy to use once you get used to it. I am using a 660 with a 42 inch bar and woodland ripping chain. I am a licensed and certified arborist so I come across some pretty nice trees. This is a cherry I removed yesterday .
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Very nice first millings! I'm impressed you had your mill up and running so soon, it was 6 months or so before I actually got to use it:) Very nice looking slabs you have! What are your plans for them?

Welcome to AS. Nice looking slabs. Just send them here to Utah for me. That way...they will dry faster...

Kevin

My wife does upholstery and I was going to build her a shop. I am going to use them for paneling in the shop. I really have no ideas for the crotch pieces any ideas are welcome.​

nice work dt! i always wonder why more tree guys don't slab up some of the wood they remove. just seems to make sense, if you're getting paid to take it. i've just started milling myself, and i've been doing mostly cherry as well. one thing i've noticed is that every slab i've milled that contained any pith split terribly down the middle. some folks just let it split and deal with it later, but it may be worth the time just to rip it down the middle straight away, then at least you've got a straight edge to work later on. just an idea...
:)

That makes sense. I still have two pieces left to do so i might go ahead and do that on the next. I am expecting lots of splits but figure that it will be okay for what i am intending to use it for. On the subject of using the wood I remove It is starting to become sort of an issue with me on a personal level . The waste of such beautiful wood is starting to bother me. I want to use it for more than firewood. Thank you for all the comments.​

My wife does upholstery and I was going to build her a shop. I am going to use them for paneling in the shop. I really have no ideas for the crotch pieces any ideas are welcome.​

I like crotch slabs and curved logs for making live edge coffe table tops and such. The crotch grain can be quite spectacular compared to "clear wood". I have a couple cherry crotch slabs with fiddleback......awesome!

You can deal with splits and voids with clear epoxy, or a contrasting color. With black walnut I prefer a black filler.

finished product

I have used the cherry I milled and built my wifes shop. I will get some more photos together later. I have another post with some camphor I milled. I have used this wood in the shop as well. The other wood you see is some mahogany and other stuff I dont even know that I rescued from the dump when a customer hired me to clear out his wood shop. He was 93 and had to move for his new wife so the wood had to go. crazy. as I said more to come later.

I have used the cherry I milled and built my wifes shop. I will get some more photos together later. I have another post with some camphor I milled. I have used this wood in the shop as well. The other wood you see is some mahogany and other stuff I dont even know that I rescued from the dump when a customer hired me to clear out his wood shop. He was 93 and had to move for his new wife so the wood had to go. crazy. as I said more to come later.

The Cherrywood slabs and walls going up look great! Beautiful wood, thanks for posting and welcome to the site.

jerry-

That's nice, how will you seal it? I love the smell of cherry so much I probably wouldn't for a long time. Use the cutoffs for the BBQ or smoker, throw on a pork loin and PM me I'll be right over:laughn:

And some more cherry.

View attachment 169096
View attachment 169097

And some of the camphor in another window. I have a post here were I first sawed this up.
View attachment 169098
View attachment 169099
View attachment 169100

All of the cherry is finished with 2 lite coats of danish oil. Everything else is done with teak oil. I use waterbased poly on the cherry and scrap wall were the sewing machine is. I did the scrap wall were the windo was in wax . I treated the back wall that was rough cut pine with rosewood oil.

Back