first milling pictures....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikecutstrees

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 65874

View attachment 65875

View attachment 65876

Here are the 1st pictures of me trying out the alaskan mill. 36" rails, Stihl MS 880 w/ 36" bar, oregon ripping chain, 20" Shagbark Hickory. The saw/ mill worked really well. I did this milling on sat and did 14 more boards on sunday. They will be used as stair treads eventually. Very nice color. The saw milled quickly and the slabbing brackets worked well. The advise I received here helped alot, milling downhill was nice. The only problem I had was once while milling too close to the ground alot of dust got sucked into the air filter and it got very clogged. So I cleaned it more often and tried to stay as far off the ground as possible. Really fun to do, I'm tired after all the milling but it was kinda addictive. All the boards are stacked and stickered now. :cheers:

Very nice I envy you!! I was just looking at our staircase that I rebuilt about 3 years ago and was thinking that I bet you could mill your own treads out of your wood of choice and they would last forever and look awesome unfortunately on ours I nailed them down real good , I may still replace them down the road it may have to be rebuilt anyway cuz we are remodeling part of the 2nd floor and the stringers may not match up!! Keep it up looks like fun! Good pics

...The only problem I had was once while milling too close to the ground alot of dust got sucked into the air filter and it got very clogged. So I cleaned it more often and tried to stay as far off the ground as possible...
Very good mike, nice little stack of hickory, that's some hard stuff. You're on your way to becoming a serious addict. And HEY... you're a tree guy, so you have access to trees all the time... I envy you that. As you get dialed in it gets even better. I wince at the beating your knees are taking milling like that though. My knees are not as healthy as they should be today because of years of doing that kind of thing. You need something like a set of small horses... like this. Your knees and back will thank you years from now.

lift6.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting Mike, nice pics and nice wood too.
. . . . . . . . I wince at the beating your knees are taking milling like that though. . . . ... You need something like a set of small horses... like this. . . . . Your knees and back will thank you years from now.

yep, . . . .yep and err yep!
Horses are V good, otherwise even a couple of gluts keep your knees off the ground.

attachment.php

Last edited:
getting the log up off the ground

Hey Woodshop and BobL I don't want to sidetrack this thread but since you guys brought it up what are your techniques for getting a full size log like that up to that height I know a hydraulic jack can be seen in many pics on the forum but this might be a good new topic for some of us newbies. Maybe your guys could show us your setups?? I will search for some past posts maybe its already here. Thanks irishcountry

That would be a good topic

Ive seen some stuff on how woodshop gets his logs on those short horses but Id like to see some more as well.

Ive got to get a new digital camera and start posting some shots

"but it was kinda addictive"

Oh yeah, once the sawdust gets in your blood your done for! I have some shagbark up on the ridges & always heard it will throw sparks off the blade while cutting. Neat looking wood though, nice job!

RD

Hey Woodshop and BobL I don't want to sidetrack this thread but since you guys brought it up what are your techniques for getting a full size log like that up to that height I know a hydraulic jack can be seen in many pics on the forum but this might be a good new topic for some of us newbies. Maybe your guys could show us your setups?? I will search for some past posts maybe its already here. Thanks irishcountry

Here is one of my methods.

Hi Lift Jacks...you gotta love them

those jacks have saved the day for me more than once..I carry one in the Ford 4x4 all the time

If you are having any trouble finding them...

"getting 1000lb cant up on horses"
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=37849

"small milling horses"
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=37392

"Milled 36" white oak with csm and ripsaw"
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=38242

"Milling lumber woodshop style"
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=19709

In addition to using the floor jack method learned from woodshop, I've also used an engine crane aka 'cherry picker' with a set of logging tongs hooked on. Really more of something you'd want to stick to using on pavement. So if you drop trees near your driveway, or have them dropped there for you, its another option. I never took any pictures of me doing it though.

Thanks

I was going to do some searching when I got time so putting in those links is very much appreciated. What a nice setup you got there I hope to get organized like you!! Inspiring pics I especially liked to oak thread. Keep it up!

Wow! That was extremely helpful! Very nice work! Those horses are awesome and that ripsaw looks great!

I am new to milling and have a lot to learn but have already started my addiction. I can't get enough. I find myself going into the woods in my backyard when I get home from work harvesting more and more wood. Whether it be for firewood or for milling. Alot of those tools you guys use seem essential. At the moment the only thing I have that can barely move huge logs is a winch. Which works alright for moving it away from the tree after bucking it and getting it setup for milling.

I recently bought an older Husky 2100 CD for dedicated ripping. But I am not sure what chain to use. It's funny how many people in this logging state I live in will tell me completely different things. Some say I need a full skip chain at 20 degrees, some say full skip at 5 degrees, some say full comp at 20 degrees. The dedicated chainsaw stores in town do not even carry any kind of full comp chain. Only Skip and Full skip. I find that a little strange.
They all say they can order me a ripping chain but for a hefty cost.
I would love some advice from people who have actually milled and tested different chains and setups to explain to me why what chain for what works best.
Also, I am wondering if my bar needs a new tip? It's an Oregon bar, 36" but reads a few numbers on it.

2340282525_98d1e53fc0.jpg

2341113932_59f52bfe94.jpg

The drive link on the chain that came with the saw has a 6 on it. Not sure if its correct or what? And it's a full skip.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back