First millings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the Granberg Mini Mill to be the best of its kind. It has some adjustment built in for squaring, and the straightness of the cut is a function of the operator and his guide rail(mounted on a 2x6). I've squared cants with mine, and it cut true and square.

As for sharpening, I prefer hand sharpening to a grinder. I do mine freehand, but will admit that a clamp-on guide from Oregon, Granberg, or Stihl would make for a more consistent, evenly sharpened chain.

As for walnut and cherry,
I think them too valuable to be used for furniture to be exposed to the weather.
attachment.php

attachment.php

cherry crotch slab used as backdrop will be used for a live edge coffee table, and yes, that's fiddleback and not milling marks

edit: I'm not sure as to why I can't get this photo to display/figured it out and added photo

Last edited:
Well I went out again today and milled some more, what a hoot it is. At this point I'm just milling wood for the fun of it and nothing more. I really have no use for the wood I'm milling. I'm planning on doing the rest tommorow. Than it's off to find some more canidates. My wife wants to make a picnic table out of some of the milled wood so that should satisfy my hunger for now...

Well I went out again today and milled some more, what a hoot it is. At this point I'm just milling wood for the fun of it and nothing more. I really have no use for the wood I'm milling. I'm planning on doing the rest tommorow. Than it's off to find some more canidates. My wife wants to make a picnic table out of some of the milled wood so that should satisfy my hunger for now...

I too, started milling this spring. Have quite a bit of oak & cherry lumber milled so far, stacked & stickered. No specific use planned, probably gun cabnet, curio cabnet, tables, whatever comes to mind. Just thought it would be fun to take your own trees from start to finished product after all these years of buying store bought lumber for such things. It is great fun, I enjoy it emensely also. Is alot of work also. Just hope I live long enough to use it..lol
gonna be awhile for it to air dry enough. Have fun and keep us updated on your progress.

Gregg,

The FIL said he has a 8" to 10" walnut log that we could mill down if we wanted as well..... Might try and use that for my mantle over the fire place, if we ever start the addition. :chainsaw:

It gets worst.... LOL!!!
There is alot of great people on here that helped me get started,,,I am still learing and reading,,but the things about these good friends I have that share what they had to go tru frm themselves from the start,,and share with us what is the best way for doing things....
Your gonna find yourself building that picnic table,,and then think,,,what else can I do with this wood,,and then get a table saw,,,jointer,,planer,,,router,,,list goes on and start making things with your HANDS with the wood you MILLED....
I have never been so satisified so much....What you make from the wood you mill will last down frm generations on down....It's hard to explane my friend...I wish I had did this so many years ago..........
Glad to see you enjoy millin as much as I do.....It is relaxing,,a peace of mind,,and you can show to others what you did and be proud of it........
Yeah,,I can take a chainsaw and down a tree and cut it up to burn away,,but to mill a tree and make it come alive again,,and last forever,,thats a thing thats so hard to explane to others that think it's work....No it isnt work to me...It's something I come to enjoy so much ....I hope you always enjoy it as much as I have...
P.S. Thank you old school people that shared with us newbies....As we mill you can smile and see we learned fron you all........

It gets worst.... LOL!!!
There is alot of great people on here that helped me get started,,,I am still learing and reading,,but the things about these good friends I have that share what they had to go tru frm themselves from the start,,and share with us what is the best way for doing things....
Your gonna find yourself building that picnic table,,and then think,,,what else can I do with this wood,,and then get a table saw,,,jointer,,planer,,,router,,,list goes on and start making things with your HANDS with the wood you MILLED....
I have never been so satisified so much....What you make from the wood you mill will last down frm generations on down....It's hard to explane my friend...I wish I had did this so many years ago..........
Glad to see you enjoy millin as much as I do.....It is relaxing,,a peace of mind,,and you can show to others what you did and be proud of it........
Yeah,,I can take a chainsaw and down a tree and cut it up to burn away,,but to mill a tree and make it come alive again,,and last forever,,thats a thing thats so hard to explane to others that think it's work....No it isnt work to me...It's something I come to enjoy so much ....I hope you always enjoy it as much as I have...
P.S. Thank you old school people that shared with us newbies....As we mill you can smile and see we learned fron you all........

Great post!!!!!

As Maldeney and I were talking today we got to discussing your post and what a great post it was. I'm quoting Maldeney and I agree, " That guy should write cards"

:clap::clap:

Come on up Dusty you can play with it anytime, bring your saws too!! Maybe we should have a milling GTG:)

Back