First Post New MS362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermann

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all,
First post, I have enjoyed reading many posts while trying to fix my Husky Rancher 50 - Unfortunately I could not fix that one due to a replacement cylinder/piston kit not fitting in the crankcase without trimming - I was not comfortable with trimming down the cylinder lips or the crankcase, so maybe if I can find a piston that will fit the old cylinder I can fix it. This was my Dad's saw he got in the 80's. I also used his MS030 and MS015, but those are back with my sister's family now.

Any how I did decide to purchase a new saw - a MS362, my brother n law had an MS361 that I used and I was quite impressed, when I got my MS250 stuck on a 20 inch oak. I have many big oaks and pines on my 5 acres. October snow storm forced me to have at a few that were broken on top and dangerous to my kids - my Husky Rancher 50 RIP was able to do the job until I burnt up the piston - my guess was either the fuel filter cam undone - air breach in fuel line, or maybe my mix was just too lean or I just overused it on the 24 inch red oak. Anyway I have had an MS250 for about 9 years, and was able to finish up slowly with that. All the research here made me desire a MS362 (more than I should for a saw!) I was able to get a good deal along with a cordless trimmer so I broke down and made the purchase. I only fired it up once and made a couple cuts - wow, there will be no problem with 2 foot oaks anymore..

Now for some questions to the experts -
(1) Husqvarna Rancher 50 Is there a Piston that would fit my older style 50 small cylinder? 46mm I think? I really would like to see it run again, I guess I am sentimental about it:cry:
(2) MS362 with 20 inch 33RSC72 chain: Chains and files, I would like to get an extra 20 inch chain, I currently have 33RSC72, which seems prefect so something that is similar but from Baileys- still doing a lot of research on chains, but from my experience I don't particularly care for the anti kickback RSC3 types, but maybe I just stink at sharpening them? I also would like to get a 24 inch bar and chain for the MS362 - what do you guys think I should get?
(3) Files, Holders, Jigs - 7/32" work but 6/64" are the exact fit? What do you recommend - I use a stihl file holder now for my MS250, but should I invest in another holder or jig like Pferd or Grandberg?
(4) Break in recommendations for MS362 - I plan to start on a 28 inch pine - Is this wise? Is full throttle ok when I am actively cutting the log or should I hold off a bit on top end even when cutting - let it cool down between fuel ups?

I really hope and expect the MS362 is the last saw - at least for that size I will need for my uses and hope to pass it along to my son like my Dad passed me on his MS015/030 and Husqy 50.

Sorry for the long post!

Edit - moving this to chainsaw forum please excuse double post! I am a noob here!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back