First saw...chain size question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coryv

Reaction score
Good day, I just bought my first personal saw, was going to buy a ms 270 but decided to wait for sales so I picked up a used stihl 024 super for 125 bucks running. I plan to use it out at the cabin for cutting firewood and felling smaller spruce. Question I have is buddy gave me a new stihl bar from a ms 250 and 2 new chains for a case of beer. Will they fit on the 024 super? I did some research and it has a different amount of links but I'm hoping it will still fit ( haven't got the saw yet) my dad is picking up the saw in Winnipeg should I get him to pick up a different chain while in the city or can I make these work? The chain I have is 62 links .325 pitch and the bar is from the same saw. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

The bars won`t interchange but the chain might if the bar you get is the correct length and gauge for the chain. Best bet would be to get the correct bar to fit the 024 and match a chain to it, drive links for length and gauge for the guide width of the new bar.

What pitch drive is on your 024? You will need to make sure that is the same as the bar and chain you plan to run.

Good score, saw the add. The 024's come with a .325 setup, Ours has a 16" bar with 66 drive links. The bar has been changed once though, so I'm not sure if this is the stock length. In my opinion, a 16" 3/8 bar with a Stihl RS chain is the perfect setup for the saw, it has plenty of power to pull this chain. If you want to stick with the .325, try the RS in that size, the next best choice. The RS is fast cutting and aggressive though, you might want to start with a semi-chisel chain (the RS is full chisel) until you are familiar with the saw and have experienced what causes "kickback".

Our sample is pretty high strung, it revs so fast you think it's going to fly apart. It's also very sensitive to carburation, so if you are always playing with the mixture to get it to run right, replace the carb diaphragms. The worst offender seems to be the blue plastic pump diaphragm, I replaced it with the supple brown one and our saw ran much better.

The 024 with the 16" bar and .325 chisel chain, Carlton in this case. The Carlton has a slightly larger corner radius, and is lacking the witness marks compared to a Stihl chain.

DSCF4047 (Large).jpg
DSCF4038 (Large).jpg

Latest posts

Back