first saw you ever rebuilt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

begleytree

H. sapiens moderatus
Reaction score
highsierra's thread got me thinking about this
what was the first one you ever did?
everyone remembers doing all that work and the smile when it fires to life!

my first rebuild was a stihl 028wb
-Ralph

Poulan 3000, still going. My do it all in a pinch firewood saw, cut acres of overgrown Christmas trees with it and it ran a log wizard for a spell. Wished I would have gotten the 3300 kit at the time, learning.

First rebuild

I do not know if this counts but I purchased a used Husky55 for $100 at a local pawn shop.I pulled the muffler and the cylinder was scored. I removed the cylinder and scratch bright it.While waiting for the new ring to arrive along with the gaskets, I did some research to porting. Well the intake side was opened up and is now as smooth as a babies bottom.I installed the new ring and cleaned up the piston and the saw is now in near perfect working order. 165 lbs of compression! This saw is a screamer! Ken

Jonsered(s) 49SP, still have it too. I got it from an old friend (78 at the time) when he scored it and got a new 029 Farmboss. I searched the globe for a piston/cylinder then found it 20 mile from my house. A contacted a dealer in California tha put me in touch with an A/S member in the northeast that had the parts I needed.

An echo 660 EVL, jug and piston were shot (enter the first donor parts saw ;) )

Still got it, don't use it much but it runs good.

Husky 61. Did it for a friend that owns a junk yard. It had a scored piston with seized ring, and the coil was bad as well. He supplied a parts saw and I swaped everything out. He ended up trading me a pair of tail light assemblies for my old 88 GMC 4x4 for labor.

XL-12

Just sold it a few months ago to a guy who was thrilled to get one again.

I am sure I will regret it in a few years...

first rebuilt.

1964 Clinton D25,....The first saw purchased by my father....complete restoration and carb rebuilt ....still have it and running.

029 super had a scored piston, cylinder cleaned up with light ball hone found a used piston from curt Baily..... reuilt carb,,,,,,,,2years now,,,, great running little limbing and light firewood saw and yes doing that and finding this site mmmmm, mmmm, mmmmphhhh,,,, My daughter told me last week she thinks I have a problem with Chainsaw?????????

My first was an old Homelight XL-101 that has been in the family since it was new. Grand dad used incorrect mix and it scored the piston/cyl.

MAC 849 Timber Bear, just 2 months ago, just sold it to my mate who is a gardener and wanted a larger saw, runs realy nice, and i felt realy good, now for the next 2. I blame this site and all of you good fellas on here, i only wanted a saw to cut some fire wood, now look at me, i'm an "ADDICT" :help: :hmm3grin2orange:

Two stihl ts-350 chop saws. new top ends on both and they both fired up right away :clap: Now I can't stop working on them :dizzy:

My dad's old Homelite XL-12. He bought it new, used it for 40 years, and it just had no compression. New rings (piston still looks great!) new fuel line, a tune-up, and a good cleaning...still running like a champ. He cut about 7 cords a year with it; I've retired it to being my backup saw, since I bought a Super XL Automatic. I feel lazy using an automatic oiler :greenchainsaw:

My first rebuild was a Stihl 028, given to me by an AS member. It needed a piston and rings and I cleaned up the cylinder. Re-did the fuel system, pit it back together, and she fired on the third pull. Runs great!

Latest posts

Back