First Slab

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbug

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well a few weeks ago I asked for advice on setting up a chainsaw mill on a budget. Well here are the first results, I did go smaller on the power head then what was recommended, I respect the desire for power but realistically for my budget and need at this time I couldn't't justify the cost. I ended up with a used Husqvarna 61 with a 20" bar and a 24" mill. I built my slabbing rail out of 2x4's and slotted angle iron. Total it cost me a little over $400.

I tried out my set up yesterday on a Black Locust that had fallen on the farm about a year ago. I wanted to try out how to set it up and make adjustments before I hacked up a quality log. All together I was pleased with how well it went. Locust being such a hard wood seemed to be a good test subject. Unfortunately soon after these photos were taken the heavens opened up and dumped 2" of rain so hopefully I can start in on some real work this weekend.

I'm not sure how long that first cut took probably 5-10 minutes, the adjustment of my rails and depth took the greatest time. I went very slowly just out of caution, since this was my first cut with the mill setup. I took my time mainly because Locust is a extremely hard and dense wood. I didn't want to chance overheating the saw and I was unsure if I had my oiler turned up enough, so I would push through for awhile and then back off a bit.
The only problem I had or at least concern was the how fine the chips were. I had read somewhere that in milling and using a ripping chain I should have long chips and to be cautious that they don't clog up under the clutch cover. The chain is a Woodsman Pro from Bailey's and it appeared to be sharp out of the box. Should I have touched up the chain, check the depth gauges, or is that just the nature of Black Locust?

woodbug said:
The only problem I had or at least concern was the how fine the chips were. I had read somewhere that in milling and using a ripping chain I should have long chips and to be cautious that they don't clog up under the clutch cover. ...

I think the long "curly fries" are a result of ripping with a regular ground chain. The chip sizes I get with a ripping chain are like you described, a little finer than you normally get crosscutting with a full chisel chain. Sounds like you're doing alright to me.

Kevin

Ok, well I must have misunderstood about that being a regular chain instead of ripping chain. I'm use to cross cutting and getting large chips I just thought that would also happen when milling.:buttkick:

You will only get fries If you are cutting WITH the grain. Example, take an 18" long piece of wood, lay it with the cut ends perpendicular to the ground, and cut from one cut end to the other. When milling you WILL get fine sawdust, the harder the wood, the finer the dust.

Thanks for straightening that up for me I was starting to wonder if I had done something wrong.

Well I don't have too much to compare it too, when it comes to milling, it's the only chainsaw mill I've seen operate in person. But for my needs at this moment I think it will work out fine.

Back