first time milling walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no oil on wood that i can see

I WOULD BE AFFRAID IT WOULD STAIN THE WOOD AND RENDER IT USELESS.
THIS IS ALL NEW TO ME THOUGH
saw dust takes care of excessive oil it was cold really cold when i did it

Nice work PA!

Were you able to diagnose the cause of those ridges in the first cut?
attachment.php

I get those ridges when the rails are not held firm enough and the rails dip or rock. One way to reduce that is to mark on the log where the rail rungs cross the log and use the CS to cut flat notches into the top of the log. This allows the rungs to snuggle into the log and support the rails.

It probably doesn't matter as much in your softer woods but if I get those ridges in the hardwoods I mill the ridges are reproduced in the next slab I cut so this is why I use the rails for every slab.

Anyway, that's a great set of boards and I like the mills you made - they look nice and sturdy!

yes , it was me

Nice work PA!

Were you able to diagnose the cause of those ridges in the first cut?
attachment.php

I get those ridges when the rails are not held firm enough and the rails dip or rock. One way to reduce that is to mark on the log where the rail rungs cross the log and use the CS to cut flat notches into the top of the log. This allows the rungs to snuggle into the log and support the rails.

It probably doesn't matter as much in your softer woods but if I get those ridges in the hardwoods I mill the ridges are reproduced in the next slab I cut so this is why I use the rails for every slab.

Anyway, that's a great set of boards and I like the mills you made - they look nice and sturdy!
it was the saws lack of power and i was pushing it. and rocked it useing 365 the rest are smooth no ridges with 298 lots power wood eating machine. i switched saws after first board and they went away thanks for tip

it was the saws lack of power and i was pushing it. and rocked it useing 365 the rest are smooth no ridges with 298 lots power wood eating machine. i switched saws after first board and they went away thanks for tip

Yes, when you push on the saw you have a tendency to rock it, causing those ridges.

I enjoy milling walnut. It cuts fast, dries fast, tends to dry flat, and machines nicely in the planer. Makes for a fun day of milling.

Mark

Very nice homemade setup and very nice slabs.
So much wood and so little time.:cheers:

I milled some this summer not the quickest stuff to get through but is it ever worth it!! Looks great keep milling!! irishcountry

Back