first time milling walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice PA,

Looks like that log was down for a while (checks on the ends). Actually cuts a little easier green too. Beautiful boards none the less. Nice mill too.

attachment.php

I been out pulling in a few black walnut and maple logs for milling.
Go back and take a good look at how you had the log oriented to the cut. If you had rotated the log a quarter turn that crack in the end of the log would have been flat with the boards and would have been contained in one board. By having the crack vertical, it is in the center of all of your boards and as they dry, it will be prone to opening up. So you could loose quite a bit of wood in the drying process due to that crack.
My Myrtlewood log deck is almost twice the walnut log deck. Both are high on my favorite hardwood for milling and use list.

thanks for tip

attachment.php

I been out pulling in a few black walnut and maple logs for milling.
Go back and take a good look at how you had the log oriented to the cut. If you had rotated the log a quarter turn that crack in the end of the log would have been flat with the boards and would have been contained in one board. By having the crack vertical, it is in the center of all of your boards and as they dry, it will be prone to opening up. So you could loose quite a bit of wood in the drying process due to that crack.
My Myrtlewood log deck is almost twice the walnut log deck. Both are high on my favorite hardwood for milling and use list.
never really thought about it thanks

Nice boards!!!!

Thanks for the pics!!! Gotta love the mini mill.....So glad I bought mine,,and it's sure worth the money....

Bill,

Glad the 298 is getting the job done. I hope to be getting some walnut milled myself in the next month or so. By the way, the little 262 is tearing them up on a thinning project I have going. Perfect saw for that application.

CT

glad your happy with it

Bill,

Glad the 298 is getting the job done. I hope to be getting some walnut milled myself in the next month or so. By the way, the little 262 is tearing them up on a thinning project I have going. Perfect saw for that application.

CT
nice saw i will miss it

Bill,

Glad to see the 298 is getting the job done. I hope to be getting some walnut milled myself in the next month or so. By the way, the little 262 is tearing them up on a thinning project I have going. Perfect saw for that application.

CT

Nice job on the mill PA! And I thought I over killed mine! I used 1" square tubes in 11 gauge and it's a little on the heavy side. Good thing it slides on rails. You could weld some 3'' long handles on the bolt heads so you can adjust the slab height without tools-just a thought. Some excess allen wrenches you don't need would work well. I also wanted to mention not to over tighten the bolts or the threads won't last very long. Just enough to hold er tight. Good looking rig and nice pics/slabs!

yes , i will do that

Nice job on the mill PA! And I thought I over killed mine! I used 1" square tubes in 11 gauge and it's a little on the heavy side. Good thing it slides on rails. You could weld some 3'' long handles on the bolt heads so you can adjust the slab height without tools-just a thought. Some excess allen wrenches you don't need would work well. I also wanted to mention not to over tighten the bolts or the threads won't last very long. Just enough to hold er tight. Good looking rig and nice pics/slabs!
i hate haveing to carry wrenches all the time thanks duhhhh i have done it before just slipped my mind thanks , i have done a few mods to it after first cutting

Latest posts

Back