First time milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishcountry

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Finally I hope I put these pics up right!!
attachment.php
attachment.php
/IMG][/IMG]
attachment.php

OK not exactly how I thought they would come out I have got some work to do!! Just to add to it the log was a blow down the has been on the ground for years thought it would be a good starter log and it looks like it has some good useable wood in it still! I made some newbie mistakes like forgetting to wedge my cut on both cuts because I was excited! I also missed one end coming loose so the the cut was a little bigger at the end of my first cut but oh well I finally got to mill. I only got two cuts in and got rained out but I will finish it later. My rig is a 36" GB mill with a 36"GB bar and a 395xp powerhead rails were quick and dirty setup obviously just wanted to dig in and do it!! It was all I expected and I am bit by the bug the speed was actually faster than I thought I know it will vary depending on the wood but for me its perfect!! Thanks to all that took the time to answer my questions I have learned alot on here and hope to have more photos to come (organized this time HA!) Take care irishcountry

Nice work, you are a full step ahead of me. I have the same setup as you but I havent had a chance to cut any lumber with mine yet. I look forward to the rest of the photos when it stops raining and you get back at it. Nice wide board you have there and what is it that you are cutting?

Hey I am not sure what type of wood it is I was actually hoping someone would chime in on that it is definately a hardwood my dad mentioned when it went down he thought it was some type of ash. I think you will like your rig seems to be sturdy and have plenty of power. Good luck and have fun with it. thanks for the reply irishcountry

My dendrology sucks, but the bark and the straight grain looks like one of the ashes. I like the sled.

It's always hard to tell from a pict., but if i was to take a guess i'd say it was a red oak...

Nice picts... Always glad to see milling picts.!

Rob

Nicely done, keep at it. Nice straight grain there, good log even though its been sitting.:clap:

Thanks for the pics! We all share your excitment. Good productive, noisy fun! Those boards look great, a bit of spalting and punk but plenty of good stuff. Welcome to the Milling Club! :cheers:

If you look under the bark and see borer tracks, it's an ash.Otherwize,it could be oak.Great job milling.Both ash& oak are well worth milling though.:clap: Mark

Hey thanks everyone! Come to think of it we have red oak cabinets and it does look very similar grained I think this tree was down before we had emerald ash borer in our area and their were no signs under the bark but I do have some smaller diameter ash to get to next one is down(cut) one is still standing pretty wood nice color just want to get my technique down so I don't screw them up! Thanks again to all I will get some more pics up once I slow down and can get out and mill some more. irishcountry

If it came from Delaware, I would say it is Red Oak, coming from MI., not sure what all you have out there that might look like that.

Red oak it is!! Or at least sounds good to me! I am anxious to finish it out hopefully I will run off some thinner boards does anyone have luck cutting 1" planks and not having them warp like crazy? thanks

Back