First time owner New CS-450 muffler mod and limiter coil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banditt007

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi, Just bought my first chainsaw a brand new Echo CS-450. I wanted the CS-500 but when i found a new 450 for $230 i didn't pass it up!!

I have a ton of questions but will try to make a few other posts so we are not all over the place...

Tuning the saw: I already removed and threw out the limiting caps on the carb. Does anyone know if this has any sort of rev limiter? I have heard sound clips of a limiter vs 4 stroking and they sound very similar(not sure if all brands limiters sound the same when they kick in) If it does have a limiter, can you just run the saw super rich in the cut and slowly lean it out until it just cleans up in the cut? Tuned at that point, at WOT w/o load it shouldn't then hit the limiter correct? it should just go into 4 stroking?

Also i looked at the muffler and it has an offset cat converter. Is there anyway to remove this w/o cutting open the case/re-welding!? I'm concerned its very restrictive but am unsure. Also the exhaust deflector looks extremely restrictive (i have yet to remove it and look whats behind it) can you just run the saw with this removed? bc it looks like the exhaust may hit the blade brake handle/pivot area if its removed. Also whats everyones feelings on the spark arrestor safety vs restriction? Are there any mufflers that i can just bolt on that make it breathe freely? The muffler weighs a ton...

I was thinking of buying a tach to set the saw right, but i am a very infrequent user of the saw and will more than likely have to "touch up" the carb settings every time i take it out(diff fuel mix/weather ext) i'd rather just have a solid tune-by-ear type tune. Especially when im out in the field and feel a small adjustment is needed. I am just concerned about thinking i'm 4 stroking when in fact a limiter is kicking in.

If someone can please transfer this thread to the "Modded work saws" forum i think it would be more fitting there and get more responses. I didn't see that forum when i first posted this, thanks.

Whoa partner, easy there. We'll help you, give us a chance to get caught up with the day's activities.

In the mean time, use the 'search' feature in this forum for answers to your questions. Start with a search of your particular model (cs-450). You will most likely find others that have already worked on this model saw. :msp_smile:

Muff modd it for sure, did my brothers , way more power... Don't throw those caps away, cut or grind(a bench grinder works great) the tabs off and put back on which make getting a screwdriver on the adjusters way easyier. Yes tune the high way rich and then back in untill it cuts the fastest in good sized wood, if you get lean it will bog easy. Steve

Latest posts

Back