first time saw porting results.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volks-man

Arboristsite.com Spooner
Reaction score
echo cs-440 45cc (clamshell motor). .325 oregon 33lg, 18" bar. stihl hp ultra mix. 18" red oak, slightly frozen.

mods: widened exhaust port, widened intake port, no base gasket, pop-up piston, bigger muffler outlet, and worked transfers at bottom end.

results: the saw is not a screamer it's a leaner. meaning you can lean on it all you want! i think with a smaller bar it would now pull 3/8 chain.:)

i didn't do any 'before' testing because i was just fooling around. heck, i fully expected that it would no longer run when i was through! the saw is still no 346xp, but it is at least useable for stuff over 12" now. oh, and you can time it with a watch now instead of a calender!;)

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i263.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid263.photobucket.com/albums/ii150/volks-man/PICT0795.flv">

Last edited:
Looks good!

Where did you get the pop-up piston?

Mr. HE:cool:

Nice work, I always thought my 440 was choked down by the 2 lb cat muffler.

Did you neuter your cat?

Or is it still intact inside?

Nice work, I always thought my 440 was choked down by the 2 lb cat muffler.

Did you neuter your cat?

Or is it still intact inside?

never was a cat inside my muffler that i am aware of. only the swisscheese baffle and the restrictive tube running to the outlet. i cut the entire area under the screen out and opened the finned outlet cover.

But not a Clamshell! Good start on your porting adventures.....:cheers: ...Bob

how is it not a clamshell? it is a modular assembly that bolts in to the saw frame. the crankcase bottom bolts to the cylinder.

You should check into the muffler, I think all the CS-4400's and CS-440's had cat mufflers.

You should check into the muffler, I think all the CS-4400's and CS-440's had cat mufflers.

i can touch my fingers together from inlet to outlet inside the muffler.
i don't think the cat will hurt anything if it is still in there.:)

my cs-346 had a cat element but it mysteriously removed itself.;)

Had a question for you that doesn't pertain to your port job.Have you changed your clothes since you took your avatar pic?You wearing the same clothes I think:jawdrop: Ha!Ha!Ha!Sorry had to ask.

Really nice to see a other brand on here! My second best wood cutting buddy has a thing for Echos:) I like his Cs440 too but the hound pissed on it lol after all he is a Jred hound.Just don't leave it sitting on the ground smelling like another dog!!!
I would take his saw over my two 45cc saw's and his is only a muff mod.
I would like to get a Echo cs520 and mod it to compare to my 2152, I like how the Echos are built kinda old school.

This is a "CLAMSHELL"

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is the type of engine that is refered to as a clamshell. The cylinder and upper crankcase are all one piece with just a cap covering the bottom end and retaining the crank bearing/seals. I was of the opinion that your Echo had a removable cylinder......Bob......:dizzy: .......:givebeer:

Good job there VM! I recall thereads where you didn't speak glowingly of that saw, but it now appears to running better than 45cc should be expected.:chainsaw: :cheers:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is the type of engine that is refered to as a clamshell. The cylinder and upper crankcase are all one piece with just a cap covering the bottom end and retaining the crank bearing/seals. I was of the opinion that your Echo had a removable cylinder......Bob......:dizzy: .......:givebeer:

those pics are what i have, except that the bolts that hold the bottom cap on are 'through bolts' that hold on the removable cylinder. my saw is the newer cs-440, not the old 440evl or whatever equivalent.

Had a question for you that doesn't pertain to your port job.Have you changed your clothes since you took your avatar pic?You wearing the same clothes I think:jawdrop: Ha!Ha!Ha!Sorry had to ask.

lets see, blue jeans and an old torn work flannel.......
:monkey:

yes i plan on porting another. my echo cs-346. it's a reed valvi so i'm not sure when i will work up enough courage to ruin it trying.

Last edited:
Good job there VM! I recall thereads where you didn't speak glowingly of that saw, but it now appears to running better than 45cc should be expected.:chainsaw: :cheers:

thanks!

i really have no problem with how the saw was... it just wasn't much compared to my pro saws.

it still isn't much to behold and isn't fast but it really does grunt well now!

Did you turn the cylinder down to increase compression?

Did you turn the cylinder down to increase compression?

nope. i lowered the cylinder by removing the base gasket. squish was at as i recall, .032. the base gasket was .020. i turned the top edge of the piston to get some squish back and kept the center high to get the compression.

Latest posts

Back