First time splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbortec01

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We went into business full time this year, used to do it on the side, and the woods been piling up. This past summer, when I had free time I would head out back for a few hours and split with a maul for fun. Pushed through quite a bit of wood that way and enjoyed it, but we want to start processing our wood more efficiently and quickly so we can sell it. I've never owned a log splitter, and I am looking for some recommendations on good ones. I have heard great things about Timberwolf and speeco, any thoughts?
Also, how much beef do I need? I like to have 16 inch sticks, and I want to be able to split stuff that is up to 36 or even 40 inches in diameter (to give you an idea of the size of logs i'll put on it). I've got some Oak that's about that big, lots of maple too, though I know the Maple is softer- maybe easier to split. In reality though, a majority of the wood we split runs from 12-24 inches in diameter. But I want the ability to break apart our bigger stuff too.
How beefy of a splitter do we need to buy? Do I need something with more than 30 tons of splitting force? Should I get a 4 way? I want something big, but don't want to break the bank.
Any advice for a guy new to the business is appreciated. Gotta say, love swinging the maul, and was able to skip the gym membership since I got into doin that. A splitter seems necessary, but I'll probably keep hittin the small stuff with a maul.

I bought a TW5 two years ago. Its a nice splitter but overpriced. Anything you get make sure it has a loglift on it. Pete

Welcome aboard AS . With pieces 36 to 40 inches, I think the only way to do those is verticle. Some people will use a lift and go horizonal but that still leaves a big half to control. Also alot of times splitting one that large, it doesn't split all the way through and you have to spin it to the opposite side and that's easier done on the ground than on the beam IMO. As far as power I have a 4.5 inch cyl. 1.75 rod 24inch stroke pushed by a 16gpm pump and 8 hp engine that give me 11 second cycle times. I'm only running 2250lbs on my bypass but it's only stopped twice on about 22 cords of wood in the last 10 months. And that was on some big crotches. Well good luck and again welcome to AS.:givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer:

log splitter

We went into business full time this year, used to do it on the side, and the woods been piling up. This past summer, when I had free time I would head out back for a few hours and split with a maul for fun. Pushed through quite a bit of wood that way and enjoyed it, but we want to start processing our wood more efficiently and quickly so we can sell it. I've never owned a log splitter, and I am looking for some recommendations on good ones. I have heard great things about Timberwolf and speeco, any thoughts?
Also, how much beef do I need? I like to have 16 inch sticks, and I want to be able to split stuff that is up to 36 or even 40 inches in diameter (to give you an idea of the size of logs i'll put on it). I've got some Oak that's about that big, lots of maple too, though I know the Maple is softer- maybe easier to split. In reality though, a majority of the wood we split runs from 12-24 inches in diameter. But I want the ability to break apart our bigger stuff too.
How beefy of a splitter do we need to buy? Do I need something with more than 30 tons of splitting force? Should I get a 4 way? I want something big, but don't want to break the bank.
Any advice for a guy new to the business is appreciated. Gotta say, love swinging the maul, and was able to skip the gym membership since I got into doin that. A splitter seems necessary, but I'll probably keep hittin the small stuff with a maul.

There is nothing wrong with the timberwolf TW-5 and it is not over priced in my opinion. I have had mine for a while now and it works and works and works when I want it to and the log lift is a godsend along with the table grate-all you need to do os roll the big ones to the log lift and do the dirty deed and pick the over size back up to split again.:cheers: :clap: :givebeer:

Latest posts

Back