First year of wood heat-advice? Encouragemet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will sink in one cold Sunday in January when the wind's-a-howlin', and you are watching NFL playoffs with shorts on....

:clap:

To reiterate from a previous post:

have an ash disposal strategy - especially for the first several weeks before snow flies. After the 1st snow, I just toss on the lawn (except the ashes that inevitably get blown into my face). :)

Also...

Don't forget the kindling. And keep a good supply of newspaper on hand. Never try to start a fire with glossy magazines like Newsweek or People.

If you don't have a woodbox already that can store a day's worth of wood (or more), get one or build one. Our first year of burning, we made do with an old fashioned steamer trunk with the lid removed.

If you have young children, educate them. Same drill as teaching them about not touching the regular stove but more serious. I still get nervous if my little guy plays w/in 4' of the stove for fear that he'll trip and make a header into the unit. As children grow older, they'll want to be participants in fueling the stove. Use your judgment.

Finally (for now), if your own land can't sustain longterms harvesting, establish good relationships with local landowners whose lots are potential fuel sources. If you can ensure a good source, supply will not be an issue and you won't find yourself down the road w/no wood or burning green. If you're not doing this right now, you should: get cracking on what you'll be burning in the winter of 2009-10. I have about 2 cords in logs that I'll be cutting up in the next few months. Through relationships I've cultivated, I can get my hands on another 3-4 cords pretty handily.

$4000 seems a little high. I spent last May $1700 for a F5 and $1000 for the pipe. The wood stove dealer’s price on the pipe was awful. I found a distributer that was much cheaper. Are you installing the system yourself? Here was my project http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=75225 . Do not run the stove with the ash door open, run the surface temp above 400 and the glass will stay clear, get a true ash bucket, buy as little from the wood stove dealer as possible, and if you use a razor blade to clean the glass be careful not to scratch it, If you are spitting kindling hold the piece with something besides your hand. Every thing else has been covered well. You got one great stove. Good luck.

As if on cue my wife just called me to tell me, "Your wood is here, and I'm not happy"
"Why not?" I say as innocently as possible.
"It's just too much!" she complains.

I don't know what she's complaining about. It's only one tree. She apparently doesn't appreciate how much others would like to have a tree service show up at their door and inquire whether or not they'd like to have a 30" dbh white oak dumped in the driveway for free.

But more on topic, I'd suggest you make contact with your local professional arborists and see if they need a place to get rid of some of their hardwood takedowns.

Why? I've got 10 cord stacked so far and with the exception of one paying takedown job, from which I netted maybe a fifth of a cord of maple because I had to dump half of it due to rotten and punky wood, and one big downed red oak trunk <5 minutes from my house from which I will net about 2 cords, I haven't had to do any hauling this season.

Ok, I'm totally confused as to why your wives don't like the wood. As a wife myself, I'm right there along side him helping, encouraging and stacking. LOL

We, at this point have about 5 years worth stacked and have another 4 years worth to go on this project.

Just the thought of staying warm and not paying for propane every month and a half is enough for me to say "Go for it"!

I'm a rookie burner too with an insert but one thing I learned is that a moist rag dipped in white ash will clean the glass on your burner very nicely as long as it's cooled off! I think you made a good choice too!:clap:

Ok, I'm totally confused as to why your wives don't like the wood. As a wife myself, I'm right there along side him helping, encouraging and stacking. LOL

We, at this point have about 5 years worth stacked and have another 4 years worth to go on this project.

Just the thought of staying warm and not paying for propane every month and a half is enough for me to say "Go for it"!

Mr. weloveburning is a very lucky man to have you.

If you prowl around on some of the other firewood threads, you'll see that some of us are just a little obsessed with firewood.

http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=73489

...on second thought, weloveburning, don't click the link in my previous message. I forgot there were quite a few juvenile references to grown men playing with their wood. Questionable for mixed company.:)

...on second thought, weloveburning, don't click the link in my previous message. I forgot there were quite a few juvenile references to grown men playing with their wood. Questionable for mixed company.:)

LOL, don't worry, I grew up with brothers. Hehehe

I appreciate the good comments. Would you tell HIM (the hubby) that??? Please> :laugh:

No in all seriousness, maybe I'm a little selfish with my motivation, because I don't like being cold, and I don't like giving our money to the propane guy. :hmm3grin2orange:

I Somebody please tell me that I made a good decision!

You may find this is one of the best decisions ever. Around here (and I'm in the middle of nowhere Utah) people have been yanking out there woodburners for gas furnaces...celebrating not having to burn wood.

Woodburning stoves make better heat. They're cheaper to run in the long run. Cutting firewood gets my family outside and my boys get to do something meaningful. And to know that you can keep family warm in the winter (even if the utilities go belly-up) brings peace of mind. Congrats on being smart and looking ahead.

Oh, and did I mention you get to run chainsaws? Gotta love that.:clap:

Depending on the type of fuel you used to heat your house, you may recoup your costs quicker than you think. People in my neighbor hood that heated with propane (what I have) spend an average of 500 dollars a month heating home/water last winter from November thru March. 2500 bones. Ouch! I spent 2200 on a Hampton H300 and 900 on a MS460. Also, I have about 10 cords in my backyard and at 200 a cord delivered that is 2000. (2500 + 2000) - (2200 + 900) = 1400 dollar ahead!!!

Now, for the bad part of the financial equation that I don't even like to think about and left out from above. Many multitudes of hours spent felling, bucking, hauling, splitting and stacking. I am WAYYYYY in the hole now. But I love every minute of doing it, so I just leave that part of the financial out. Or I guess I could charge myself like 1 penny an hour and then I am about even.

Update for my 1st year with wood heat-Jotul 600

Well, I decided that today would be a good day to update my thoughts after using wood heat for my first winter ever. I should always have about 7 full cords going into winter from now on. January in Michigan had me going through a bunch of wood as many days were around zero at night. It makes a big difference trying to heat a house when its zero out compared to 30 degrees.

Today, I happened to be home when the propane guy stopped out. I went out there as he was hooking his hose up and about to put propane in. We looked at the gauge and figured he would be able to only get less than 100 gallons. He asked me what's going on here and if I am using wood to heat my house. I must have had a smile from ear to ear. I'm thinking to myself how I have been waiting for this moment. :cheers: The guy was pretty cool actually. He told me I'm smart for doing this. He suggested that he will not put propane in and have me just call in the next time I'm low. He also said the price should drop from $2.50/gal to $1.50 in a month or so.

One thing for sure about wood stoves, if you are between 2 models to heat your house, always go bigger. I'm glad I didn't go any smaller.

I appreciate all the advice given so far.:chainsaw:

We just got our first electric bill since the wood stove install and it was about 25% less than usual. We were all happy till we realized that it wasn't the stove but the fact that we were without power for a week...LOL

I didn't think the central air fan would pull that much juice. :) The propane needle hasn't moved for a couple weeks now though.

Ian

Back