Fishing for oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blast it....a little diesel mixed 5:1 with some nitrogen fert. a good blasting cap, and bury the charge about two feet below center of trunk in the root ball. roughly 3 lbs of charge, shotgun primer works good for blasting cap if you are not explosive certified, and covering charge will likely absorb any shock other than what you need.

Pack mixture tightly, you should be good to go. This should reduce the root ball drastically, and make winching out trunk possible, maybe even easy. Just don't get caught. Former atf or not, playing with explosives is not what the local constabilatory want to see.

Good luck.

That requires ammonium nitrate, which is an instant visit from the BATF if you even TRY to buy some. Unless you are a BIG farmer with an established history of purchases.

If you try to buy some from Mr. Big Farmer, he is likely to turn you in, and then you will really be in trouble.

Taking out that stump & tree with a hacksaw and a garden trowel would be less trouble than getting a felony charge for violating federal explosives regulations.

That requires ammonium nitrate, which is an instant visit from the BATF if you even TRY to buy some. Unless you are a BIG farmer with an established history of purchases.

If you try to buy some from Mr. Big Farmer, he is likely to turn you in, and then you will really be in trouble.

Taking out that stump & tree with a hacksaw and a garden trowel would be less trouble than getting a felony charge for violating federal explosives regulations.

Your right but it wouldn't be as much fun.

Scott

My apologies if I seemed crude, but I do know it works. However I had meant it as somewhat sarcastic, (yet doable) humor.

IF you were to use explosives at all, of course all authorities, permits, and regulations should be considered, contacted, and properly documented. I just brought up an old farmer's trick. Amonium nitrate of course is controlled, as it should be since OKC, but it DID sound like fun...didn't it?

Of course mothballs and various cleaning products will work as well, but that is alot harder to control....and no one wants to go making bombs, at least not without proper authority. The problems with authorities involved in something like that is they always want factory made explosives, (weak and expensive) and you never get the permission you need to have a really good time.

The excavator idea is probably the best. A 48 inch bar might be able to reach through the trunk without having to bury the power head...(no damage to the saw, just soaking the operator.) I've cut up quite a few trees in lakes, just remember the environment some, and use vegetable oil for your chain...at least in this instance. The old crosscut idea would work extremely well also.

Well he is retired explosives expert for the atf so he could have
obtained tovex plastic and done it right but a lot of key people
would have to be notified and permits would end up more than
the project has been. He was the guy called in to diffuse bombs
idiots rigged up and has the necessary clearance. I would have
enjoyed watching it blow but in today's society it wouldn't be
prudent. I managed to get the log raised enough to get a snap
cut at mid log and we yanked it to the side. The creek should
flow now and yes I got wet :laugh: I cut my fee some as this
guy has been extremely nice and is a good feller to have in your
corner. The pics are the best I could do before I bailed in to cut!
I should have got one behind the ball this is the side view and I
am not real experiance with the camera yet and it shows sorry.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back