Fix or Sell

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGiggles

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I got a little carried away at an online auction and bought a pile of junk for $300.

In the pile are two semi-complete MS360s. I will probably just throw these on eBay and get what I can for them.

I also got an MS460 and a 660. Both pretty much just assembled crankcases. The pistons are smoked. I do have recoils and clutch covers for them. One has a muffler.

Far as I can tell it will take $200 worth of Chinese parts each to get the 460 and 660 going. Doesn't seem worth it to me. What do you guys think? The smartest way I can think of to go about it is to order a Huztl kit for both saws, and resell the Chinese crankcases.

I got a little carried away at an online auction and bought a pile of junk for $300.

In the pile are two semi-complete MS360s. I will probably just throw these on eBay and get what I can for them.

I also got an MS460 and a 660. Both pretty much just assembled crankcases. The pistons are smoked. I do have recoils and clutch covers for them. One has a muffler.

Far as I can tell it will take $200 worth of Chinese parts each to get the 460 and 660 going. Doesn't seem worth it to me. What do you guys think? The smartest way I can think of to go about it is to order a Huztl kit for both saws, and resell the Chinese crankcases.
Chinese parts are not good.

"Semi-complete" usually means a parts saw. Judging from what you paid and what it will take to get these saws running again, you may have paid a bit too much for lots of parts. It appears that I have to agree that you bought a lot of junk. Regardless, I wish you luck on all the rebuilds and resells. If you only get two of them running, you can likely recoup your cash with resells. So, perhaps not is all lost. Good Luck!

"Semi-complete" usually means a parts saw. Judging from what you paid and what it will take to get these saws running again, you may have paid a bit too much for lots of parts. It appears that I have to agree that you bought a lot of junk. Regardless, I wish you luck on all the rebuilds and resells. If you only get two of them running, you can likely recoup your cash with resells. So, perhaps not is all lost. Good Luck!

I know it. Auction fever got ahold of me. The models were not advertised, I knew they were all pro saws, and that two of them were likely pretty large by the size of the dogs.

Worst case I could get my money back on Ebay, but trying to fix them seems to be a losing proposition. The OEM cases and cylinders are worth something.

I know it. Auction fever got ahold of me. The models were not advertised, I knew they were all pro saws, and that two of them were likely pretty large by the size of the dogs.

Worst case I could get my money back on Ebay, but trying to fix them seems to be a losing proposition. The OEM cases and cylinders are worth something.
You can likely rebuild that 660 and perhaps the 460 with the parts coupled with a Hutzl kit and have a running saw. I have already done this with a 660 rebuild kit. It runs today after 200 hours of operation and can pull a 36" bar. All the parts on the "junk" saw worked with the kit. Figure about 10 hours of work on a couple of rainy days.

You can likely rebuild that 660 and perhaps the 460 with the parts coupled with a Hutzl kit and have a running saw. I have already done this with a 660 rebuild kit. It runs today after 200 hours of operation and can pull a 36" bar. All the parts on the "junk" saw worked with the kit. Figure about 10 hours of work on a couple of rainy days.

I may sell the rest and rebuild the 660. I don't really need another one but could still make a little money on it.

Pics of what you got? Im an idiot myself and have a bad bad habit if taking a box of parts and ending up with a runner

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

It’s not always about the financial return. If you enjoy rebuilding saws, the process and the reward that comes with it, then this is a win. I have spent way more on my rebuilds than the saw is worth financially, but to me it’s a hobby and a challenge. It’s also nice to work on saws that are NLA and overcoming challenges that come with it.

Even if you only recoup a portion of what you spent, you’ve done well to get a hobby to pay towards itself. It’s one of the few hobbies that have a return!

Don’t worry if you paid a little too much, sift through what you get when it arrives and keep hold of the parts if you have space. In time they’ll be used for future projects if not now.

Warm regards, Tom

@brad ruch has a story about Chinese 372 crank cases.

I laughed out loud at "The smartest way I can think of to go about it is to order a Huztl kit for both saws".

It's either that or spend double the value of the saw on OEM parts. At least with the Huztl kit I know that I have everything, there is just so much missing from these that it would be a huge pain to source everything separately.

This is the photo of the 460 and 660. They are pretty much literally assembled crankcases. No oil pumps, coils, chain brakes, etc. The handle is broke on that tank assembly so it's pretty much useless too.IMG_20201019_173415088.jpg

It's either that or spend double the value of the saw on OEM parts. At least with the Huztl kit I know that I have everything, there is just so much missing from these that it would be a huge pain to source everything separately.

This is the photo of the 460 and 660. They are pretty much literally assembled crankcases. No oil pumps, coils, chain brakes, etc. The handle is broke on that tank assembly so it's pretty much useless too.View attachment 862529
Yah those look destined for the parts pile. Not every score ends up becoming a saw.

This is the photo of the 460 and 660. They are pretty much literally assembled crankcases. No oil pumps, coils, chain brakes, etc. The handle is broke on that tank assembly so it's pretty much useless too.View attachment 862529
Honestly as far as cases if it's for your self and they crap out I guess ohh well.but to do for someone else or sell it that way I wouldn't.i haven't had the best of luck.just had a set on a 372 that seemed fine and looked good.lasted about a month and spun the bearing in the case.plastic stuff I guess is ok top covers,or mufflers,top handles but cases,carbs,coils usally are junk.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Honestly as far as cases if it's for your self and they crap out I guess ohh well.but to do for someone else or sell it that way I wouldn't.i haven't had the best of luck.just had a set on a 372 that seemed fine and looked good.lasted about a month and spun the bearing in the case.plastic stuff I guess is ok top covers,or mufflers,top handles but cases,carbs,coils usally are junk.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I cut a lot of wood with that 365. The new owner is doing the same.

It's pretty much moot anyway, since I would be using the OEM cases and cylinder that I already have.

After thinking it over, I think I will build the 460 with a Huztl kit and throw the rest on Ebay. Won't be making any money on this deal but I could make most of it back. I've been wanting an 044 for a long time.

Last pile of junk like that I got was for free. Two 044/440 and a 046. Dirty missing parts and/or squashed. But more complete and cleaner than those .

How do the MS360s look?

Turns out all 3 saws I got were OEM, had good crankcases, cranks and P/Cs. I may clean them up and put them up on the trading post for parts.

Last pile of junk like that I got was for free. Two 044/440 and a 046. Dirty missing parts and/or squashed. But more complete and cleaner than those .

How do the MS360s look?

Turns out all 3 saws I got were OEM, had good crankcases, cranks and P/Cs. I may clean them up and put them up on the trading post for parts.
This. Some other member here could use them.

How do the MS360s look?

The 360s are pretty similar, but they have tank assemblies and handles. The oil pumps are gone.

If anyone wants that 660 just PM me. It spins free, the piston is toasted but I think the cylinder could be saved. Looks all OEM to me.

This. Some other member here could use them.

Too many projects too little time. I also have a early 026 (lean sieze) and early 064 ( bosch coil?) that are much nicer and complete. Most of NOS/OEM parts for both. Next project would be the 064. Both of those I have NOS P/Cs for.

I need to clean the 044/440/046 saws up well before pulling P/Cs and checking them out, cases are all fine, tank/handles in rough shape. They turn smooth and all P/Cs look good through ex/int ports. Would not offer up junk in trading post. No time right now. But not junk.

I have several good running: 026 028S 036 (X2) 038Ms (X3), and a 066 so not needing a 044/046 anytime soon. The 064 would fit in nice between my 038 and 066.

Latest posts

Back