"Flap" keeps chips away from air vent...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy_Bob

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I had a problem with wood chips from my saw flying up and clogging the cooling air vent. Only a few cuts and the air vent would be completely clogged!

I watched what was happening and this mostly happened with my 36" bar when the wind was blowing from behind me. This was happening when I was bucking smaller logs on the ground. Does not happen so much with my 32" bar!

Seems the 36" bar is just the right length to shoot the chips up so they hit my leg then bounce off, and the wind from behind sends them up to get sucked into the cooling air vent.

I designed a fix for this...

I got a rubber doormat from the hardware store and cut it into sort of an "L" shape. Then I got two hose clamps and clamped this onto the bottom bar of my saw. So this blocks the chips from getting to the lower portion of the saw air intake and blocks the chips from hitting my leg (and then bouncing up into the air intake).

It works! A few chips still get into the intake, but just a few. I put one on my 32 inch saw as well.

Here are pictures of my "Flap"...

Last edited:
Do you use that saw for falling, because that flap hangs pretty low.

Yes, but no problem. If I hold the saw sideways, the flap does not reach the bar. Actually I tried pulling it toward the bar and no part of it can reach the bar. Also it could probably be cut a little shorter and still work just fine.

Falling and needing to hold the saw sideways was one of the problems I had with thinking of what to do for this. I need to be able to hold the bar on the side for falling cuts. So I can't have anything attached to the side bar.

It would be even better if the flap went higher to block the upper portion of the air vent as well (without mounting anything on the side bar).

I used the 460 - 32" saw today for felling, limbing, and bucking. No problems with the flap getting in the way with felling. Used it just like normal and didn't even notice the flap.

I still got chips caught in the air intake, but not nearly so many.

We run a big bar 460 also and have always had issues with chips covering the starter cover slots. It's a simple enough process to sweep them off with your hand during long cuts or between cuts. I don't see a need to add anything to the saw. All saw operators should be responsible enough to keep an eye on their equipment and know when routine maintenance should be done....

I can't believe nobody suggested this yet - just buy a Husky with superior air filtration :popcorn:.

Let me offer a suggestion for a slight modification.

Mud-Flap-Girl--C10114892.jpeg

When I went to the auto parts store to buy mud flaps for my trailer, I asked the guy if he had any mud flaps with chrome "Sheep" on them.

He said no, then gave me a strange look. I think he thought I was serious... :laugh:

Back