Flexible Chimney Sweeping Systems?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

802climber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been looking at the flexible chimney cleaning kits that are operated with an electric drill.

I figure if I keep digging, I might be able to sweep this from the bottom. Please discuss.

Attachments

• CLEANOUT.jpg
    CLEANOUT.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 120
IDK it was professionally installed. It is mortared thru the foundation right there in the pic.

I've got one called the "sooteater". I'm sure you could find out more about it with google. Works really well. Uses regular weed trimmer line.
That's what I got, thanks. I actually added some extra weed wacker line right below the ball and attached it with zip ties.

Good deal, so how far down do I have to dig below the cleanout to use this system? Thanks.

Not sure really, the rods are pretty flexible. but it looks like your cleanout is pretty low to the ground. The rods are 4 foot long. I'd imagine you'd have to have at least a couple feet clearance under the bottom to be able to feed the rods in and keep it spinning. But like I said, I'm not really sure. Best of luck

Yep, my cleanout was touching the ground before I started digging. I am trying to figure out how much farther I must dig to be able to sweep from the bottom. Then I will put a cover on there before it rains on Thursday. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1230 (1).JPG
    IMG_1230 (1).JPG
    54 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1231 (1).JPG
    IMG_1231 (1).JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 51
So they have a picture of the flexible rods bent into a "U" shape - will the system actually work at this angle? I am just trying to figure out how deep of a pit I would have to dig before purchasing a system. \

So they have a picture of the flexible rods bent into a "U" shape - will the system actually work at this angle? I am just trying to figure out how deep of a pit I would have to dig before purchasing a system. \
I will answer my own question. The answer is NO. The pic on Amazon is misleading -- I got my Sooteater and it says right there in the manual that the rods WILL break if you spin them at this "U" shaped angle or anywhere past 90* for that matter.

The manual says the rods "MIGHT" break if you spin them at a 90* angle, which is funny because the manual shows tons of pics of operating the system at a 90* or slightly gentler angle. They say that you are (obviously) safest sweeping straight up or down, which wouldn't this kind of defeat the purpose of this system?

I ended up sweeping mine from inside the basement, took the pipe off and swept through the thimble so it only had one 90* to clear. Worked great! Love the quick connect rods.

One word of caution: Don't order the Gardus Sooteater from Amazon! I am a "Prime" member, yet my order was very subtly cancelled by Amazon, took me awhile to even notice. Ended up ordering from some sketchy online site that took almost 2 weeks to ship!

Back