FMC Wayne Chipper Clutch Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After closer examination of the new picture I see the shaft rolls in the housing there by moving the through out bearing forward to disengaging the clutch. Is there a adjuster on this mechanism? It seems to me that is where you should be looking. What I'm gathering from you is motor starts runs clutch engagement is uncontrollable and slams engage stalls motor. You don't have a torque converter modle. So you've got three possible situations. 1 linkage is sloppy and doesn't give you control. 2 clutch mechanism is out of adjustment and not functioning properly. 3 actual clutch is is warn to point that affects clutch mechanism operation. Your really close to fixing it. Pulling the clutch and fly wheel inspecting all components would eliminate that possibility and your right there anyhow.

Engaged cluch as Dillon suggested still no go... as soon as the clutch snaps into position you do not have enought time to react an engine stalls immediately. Complete clutch assembly in excelent condition, clutch shows only normal wear.... brought to NAPA and they agreed that clutch and pressure plate were in good condtion and did not need replacment. Clutch engagment assembly works very smooth and is in excelent working condition with no broken or worn parts.
I have been working on various type of machinery for over 30 years and have never seen any thing so strange as this!! I wouild sell the chipper but can not afford the loss I would take selling a non working chipper.
What I need here is person who has worked on these FMC Wayne chippers back in the day.. or some one living in New England that has this model chipper so I can find out what the heck is going one with this chipper!!!
Thanks to all in advance!

FMC Wayne Chipper Problem Solved!

Followed Dillon's clutch engagement procedure with the engine OFF.. and I am able to get chipper to rotate drum without stalling the engine, by following Dillon's procedure I can now slowly engage the clutch, once the engine has been started. Thanks again to all for your help!!!

Hello, thanks for your help! And yes the drum turns over freely when the clutch is disengaged... not sure how long the chipper has been sitting as I just purchased it. When I bought it about a month ago it did not seen to have this problem. The problem is like dumping the clutch on a standard shift.
Carb. is a rebuilt and engine seems to run fine.. I need to get this thing working ASAP as work is pilling up!

I have What appears to be a wayne trailer and 318 v8 power unit and an aspluhnd 12 drum chipper. It has been modded over the years. I bought it cheap. I had the same clutch problem. I crawled under the unit and looked at the clutch. There was a cotter pin and washer missing from one of the arms that pushes on the throw out bearing. I replaced the missing pieces. I greased the zerts. I sprayed oil on the throwout bearing. After the clutch handle snaps into gear I can now feather the clutch until the drum is spinning at operating speed.

Latest posts

Back