Fogging oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redunshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Many of you guys have multiple saws that probably hardly ever get used. Do any of you use a squirt or two of fogging oil in the cylinder? Would seem like good protection.

Here in humid Ky., I have thought about it. But a used chainsaw's innards seem pretty well oily. Only time I ever see a problem is one that has been sitting with a bunch of water on it. But, it definitely wouldn't hurt.

I use it more for first-start on barn-find saws, etc. But a squirt of WD40 before a shot of carb cleaner likely accomplishes the same purpose. I'm with Harley... if I ran it, I know I used proper mix, and the cylinder walls are going to be coated. I bought a can of it 12-ish years ago and the can is still at least half full, if that's any indication

Fogging oil is sprayed in the carb while running. It protects all internals. It will also safely let a engine start with no fuel.

I have a 1990 Yamaha 650 2 stroke waverunner, I put it away for winter every year with fogging oil as part of the process. I spray it down the throat until shutoff. And yes, last can is about 10 -12 years old. I have not used it on saws because, well I don't think I've intended on them sitting long enough. I have a few that next time they are ran I will shut them down with fogging oil. Backups and spares :)

I have a friend who fogged his 2 stroke 90HP outboard himself. I was there a few years later when he tried to start it again. It took him two days a lot of smoke and swearing. IDK what he did wrong but it was a disaster.

I have a friend who fogged his 2 stroke 90HP outboard himself. I was there a few years later when he tried to start it again. It took him two days a lot of smoke and swearing. IDK what he did wrong but it was a disaster.
When I had a fishing lodge in Canada we fogged our motors in the fall. Never had an issue with them restarting, but we also drained the float bowls.

Back