Foley model 308 bench grinder???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodyjiw

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
If a guy could pick up a used one for around 200$ would it be a good investment? He has extra wheels and the manual. It was used in a shop specialized in sharpening everything. Saw chains, saw blades, drill bits etc...

I only sharpen my saws currently. I use a file jig mounted to the bar and am pretty happy. Just considering speeding up the process. Or should I invest in a new machine for a little more?

What say u?? Thanks

You would need to check it over for loose pivots and worn parts. Personally I would pass on it for $200.00, unless it came with a lot of wheels in the sizes that I was looking for. My Foley gets used last, it is slow. It can do a nice job but it seems to require a bit more operator care than the others that I have. Often see them in the $50.00 to 100.00 range with a couple of wheels.

I have a 511 knockoff grinder that TSC sells for around $150.00 that I hands down prefer to the Foley that I have. Way faster, larger wheel and it holds the tolerances better. Wheels are everywhere for the 511 types. See the grinders used for the $50.00-100.00 range every once in a while. Paid $50.00 (store return TSC)for mine and needed to put a washer on it, replaced the wheel. Nice grinder.

The Harbor Freight grinder is not as nice as the Foley, however I would consider it similar in effect. The Foley 308 allows for the swing arm to be angled, almost never need to change this. Not sure if it allows the vise to be moved, even if it does almost never need to do this. Some will argue that it is easier to do depth gauges with the Foley, it depends on the condition of the grinder and skill of the operator. Personally prefer to depth gauges with a file and guide even with multiple grinders, and the 511s do the depth gauges faster and easier as well.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Take it as free advice over the internet. Different areas have different markets and values need to be adjusted accordingly.

It would be a hard sell around here to get $200.00 for a well used Foley sharpener. In like new condition with a full compliment of wheels it would probably still sit a while.

If you are sharpening 100s of chains a year then the Foley would be a better choice than the cheapy cheap import grinders however the wheels will get expensive if they are the typical Foley wheels, I would still hands down chose a 511 style for sharpening 100s of chains.

Take a look at EBay and YouTube, there used to be some videos showing the Foley, FoleyBelsaw and Belsaw grinders as well as the various 511 Oregon/Totemic/knockoff grinders. Might help get a feel for the machines.

If a guy could pick up a used one for around 200$ would it be a good investment? He has extra wheels and the manual. It was used in a shop specialized in sharpening everything. Saw chains, saw blades, drill bits etc...

I only sharpen my saws currently. I use a file jig mounted to the bar and am pretty happy. Just considering speeding up the process. Or should I invest in a new machine for a little more?

What say u?? Thanks
What's up neighbor.
Did you ever get the grinder?

Back