Foot Comfort: What Socks Do You Wear?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had great luck with the 511 tactical boot socks.
They stay up on the calf, and wick sweat as well as straight Polypro.

The only drawback is they ain't cheap unless your employer is buying 'em for ya, or you catch a sale.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I prefer clean Socks. If I can't find a clean pair, then I recycle the pair that stinks the least.

I like Wool socks winter or summer. They make thin ones for summer. Wool is better than synthetic fibers. Polypropylene really stinks.

I buy a bunch of over the calf bridgeports whenever they are cheap at STP. Thick wool for comfort all year long. Sometimes a thin dressy pair as a liner if I expect to be in my boots for more then six hours.

Learned it in the USMC, two pair of socks on a hump will save some blisters.

summer ... best I've found is Dri Star from Walmart. much cheaper and better than than any other synthetic sock I've tried.

NO COTTON!

winter ... Bridgedale wool socks when thick is needed. Smartwool socks for in between temps.

best place to buy quality wood socks is Sierra outfitters. smartwool was $6-7 pair vs $15 pair at local camping store. they were close outs at Sierra outfitters.

I've always worn two pair of wool socks, summer and winter. Started doing it with my caulks to prevent blisters on long walks. I will now wear a single wool sock and Bama boots if I'm wearing my rubber caulks.

Y'all, please read:

You guys crack me up! And YES, I read everyone's reply!

I'll take yah up on the recommendations. Don't bother me to try several pair out to see what works. Can't believe I worked in cotton socks for 25+ years, but after wearing some new "comfortable" boots... got to thinkin' socks must feel even better if I can find the right kind.

Thank you for your replies and unexpected humor!

StihlRockin'

I've purchased 20+ pairs (got two boys) of bridgedale and smartwood socks from Serria trading post. all were labeled discontinued or factory seconds.

I've yet to find defects of any kind on these wool socks. quality is second to none. sure $7-8 is still high per pair of socks. but these wool socks wear like iron and are the most comfortable socks anywhere.

note most of the smartwool and bridgedale are meant for hiking socks in boots. so most are fairly thick, unless marked mid weight.

not the cheapest, but absolutely the best values for socks anywhere.
our local camping stores sell smartwool socks for $15 pr.

erez

Oops, quoted when I wanted to IMG

+ 100 on the smart wool, used to wear fox river, but the way smart wool perform and last they are worth the extra money.

Bridgedales from STP are the best ones I've used so far. Can't stand any sock falling down so I roll 'em over the top of my Carolinas.

Just a question, don't you guys find wool hot in the Summer?

I don't suffer from hot feet the way some do. I think the worst socks for me are the full polypro socks. Not sure if they even make those anymore. I have been wearing the blends and 1 pair of wool. I don't see much difference in them performance and heat wise. The wool is probably warmer but not overly so. If I were doing a long trip and wanted to minimize weight, I think I would take the wool for odor resistance and warmth/comfort when wet.

Several different kinds of wool. Mommy used to buy me fox river but I stumbled on to wigwam a while back and I must say they are the most comfortable socks I have ever worn I my life!!! I sometimes go out in my "JC water walkers" while wearing my "Wigs" jus cuz deys so comfy! I dont care if I look like a dork. And to answer the one guys question, wool has never bothered me in the summer once. I dont think about my feet much when my eyes are burning from the sweat. HEY!!!! WHEN I SEE THAT PIC SOMEONE POSTED, IT REMINDED ME, ANYONE REMEMBER MAY OF 05' IN THE STIHL CALENDER? MAMA CITA!!!

Back