How do you decide what your "ride" is?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drive anything big 3(or small North American companies when it comes to older stuff)when it comes to cars and trucks currently own a 93 ranger a 90 Chevy 3500 dually and a 1988 mustang(have a 84 mustang but it’s a roller drag car). when it comes to bikes and ATV mostly Japanese but love Indian motorcycles have a 93 Suzuki katana 600 and a 83 Yamaha maxim 750 that’s getting a Yamaha RD350 engine after I hard tail it.

Wish I could have a Ford F250 pick-up, with a Cummins Turbo Diesel, and an Allison 10-speed transmission in it. :p

Now that would be a pick-up!
I’ve been eyeing up a eatons 10 speed from a 5 or 10 ton truck for my dually they look like someone made a bigger a sm465

Wish I could have a Ford F250 pick-up, with a Cummins Turbo Diesel, and an Allison 10-speed transmission in it. :p

Now that would be a pick-up!
Yup it’s a shame the Cummins engine is put in such a pile of $hit truck otherwise. You’d want a 350 though, the payload and pin weight is too low on a 3/4 ton truck when you add the diesel. My 2015 f250 6.7 had 1200 less payload than my buddies gasser just because of the gvwr.

What really needs to happen is yota to bring an hd diesel here and that should do dodge in once in for all.

Yup it’s a shame the Cummins engine is put in such a pile of $hit truck otherwise. You’d want a 350 though, the payload and pin weight is too low on a 3/4 ton truck when you add the diesel. My 2015 f250 6.7 had 1200 less payload than my buddies gasser just because of the gvwr.

What really needs to happen is yota to bring an hd diesel here and that should do dodge in once in for all.
Think their coming out with a dually this year.

I'm cheap. Here's my favorite current "ride".
20220421_165826.jpg

Yota would need a whole new platform . The current Tundra doesn't even have the capacities of the f150.

I may diss my Dodge but it's been one of the best trucks I've owner. All three have their own problems.

Yota would need a whole new platform . The current Tundra doesn't even have the capacities of the f150.

I may diss my Dodge but it's been one of the best trucks I've owner. All three have their own problems.
The newer f150 has no capacity for towing what so ever the frames are so thin you can cut them with tin snips and the body’s peel open like pop cans. I’m a ford guy But not interested in the newer stuff dodges up here don’t last 5 years without something rusting off.

Yeah but you put an empty 26ft car hauler on the hitch of one with the IRS rear end and she squats and that’s with a weight distribution hitch. My ranger can haul more after I put in a set of $20 helper coils. The frames won’t last in southern Ontario without oil spray anyway. their main selling point here is the “military grade”(read this a s***y)aluminum body. but when the frame is 12ga sheet metal don’t matter yeah it’s a clam shell and that heads extra strength but when the salt spray gets to it(lots of open holes in the frames for it to get into) it won’t be for long.

I'm not in the market for a new pick-up. Good thing too, as I'd have a real challenge picking the best one.

As far as I'm concerned, all new(er) vehicles aren't anywhere's close to the quality that I'm used to seeing from older vehicles.

Plastic seems to be the new steel. :(
Yes unfortunately it is and I had to deal with it lots in my last few years as an auto body technician since those plastic welders came out anyway we fixed bumpers more then replaced them.

The current tundra as in the brand new one? If so you should probably look again but I’m not exactly sure. The big 3 probably don’t want yota to get into the hd diesel game. I’d love to see it because I’ll never buy another American vehicle and I’d love to see dodge go belly up for good.

The current tundra as in the brand new one? If so you should probably look again but I’m not exactly sure. The big 3 probably don’t want yota to get into the hd diesel game. I’d love to see it because I’ll never buy another American vehicle and I’d love to see dodge go belly up for good.
The 2022 Tundra payload 1740 to 2300 lbs towing 12,000 pounds . That a half ton range truck, bigger engine isn’t going to make the rest of the truck heavy duty no V8 option . It’s got 6 lugs wheels .

Don’t think you will ever see Dodge go belly up .

View attachment 935881this is my ride. It's got nothing, perfect.

I love it 🥰

Here's mine

IMG_20170826_125021621.jpg

nowhere near as nice as yours....but 55+ years of living in the rustbelt will do that to a vehicle....
But it's got nostalgia, was my dad's for many many years. My first 3 on the tree I learned to drive on, the linkage eventually got so sloppy I ended up replacing it with a newer Landcruiser 3 speed on the floor linkage.
Eventually when the kids are grown I will rip the body off and give it some much deserved TLC.

I gotta say the brand loyalty on this forum is intense! Pretty strong convictions, particularly from the pickup crowd. I think if we are honest with ourselves we could all agree that they are ALL junk...yes even the Toyotas. It comes down to learning to live with and repair what ya got. Planned obsolescence has been a thing for.....ever.

I like the fact they are simple, everything unbolts, every component down to the indicator flasher motor can be unscrewed and serviced.

I like the fact they are simple, everything unbolts, every component down to the indicator flasher motor can be unscrewed and serviced.
Yes they are super simple. My comment was more in reference to the newer generation stuff - the older Japanese Era steel in these parts have been off the roads for decades now except for the rare one that's been stuffed in the back corner of a barn, like mine. It gets used to run the property, back roads and lease roads and an occasional trip to town in the summer. It hasn't seen a snowflake in probably 30 years and that's a good part of our climate. It spends a lot of time sitting for preservation purposes.

Unfortunately the newer stuff doesn't last any better. This is farm country - no one, and I mean no one drives a Tundra. It's a race to the scrap yard between which will rot out faster, the body or the frame. To Toyotas credit they did step up and put new frames underneath the earlier generation. But when you walk by a mall crawler at the local gas station on a couple year old truck and the fenders are already blistered up, holes in the bed floor and the bumper wouldn't survive a fender bender with a Hot Wheels car it doesn't instill much confidence.
For all the problems the big 3 have they have all stepped it up in the corrosion department. Gotta have a workable platform to be able to keep it on the road.

The 2022 Tundra payload 1740 to 2300 lbs towing 12,000 pounds . That a half ton range truck, bigger engine isn’t going to make the rest of the truck heavy duty no V8 option . It’s got 6 lugs wheels .

Don’t think you will ever see Dodge go belly up .
If you go back to my original post, I said Toyota not Tundra anyway. They build things for overseas that don’t make it here.

Dodge almost and should’ve went belly up around 08. Don’t you remember they bailout? Gm almost did too that’s why Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saturn and Hummer was killed off.

Latest posts

Back