Foot operated splitter "handle"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeeVee

East Coast Champion
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Splitter foot valve/switch?

Is there an application? I'm thinking for working alone, speed isn't an issue, two hands on the meat....

Could be an electric solenoid to send the ram moving to the end of the stroke, rocker foot switch send it back, and you haint let go of two big split halves once.

It could be hoses running to it, even in the dirt and splitter turds if you have an eye on it.

I mean Dang, your feet get off easy, unless your prone to let a split half drop on your foot because yer reaching for a handle, what else are they doing?

We all descendined from Apes, and even the biggest lardass firewood scrounger is way more coordinated with his feet than he understands, and could adapt to not not pushing or pulling a handle, opposed thumbs or not.

You heard it here first?

That's what got me with the fiskars

Splitter foot valve/switch?

Is there an application? I'm thinking for working alone, speed isn't an issue, two hands on the meat....

Could be an electric solenoid to send the ram moving to the end of the stroke, rocker foot switch send it back, and you haint let go of two big split halves once.

It could be hoses running to it, even in the dirt and splitter turds if you have an eye on it.

I mean Dang, your feet get off easy, unless your prone to let a split half drop on your foot because yer reaching for a handle, what else are they doing?

We all descendined from Apes, and even the biggest lardass firewood scrounger is way more coordinated with his feet than he understands, and could adapt to not not pushing or pulling a handle, opposed thumbs or not.

You heard it here first?

I was using a real powerful hydraulic, complete with mambo log lifter.. but..it just wasn't as fast or as easy as using a fiskars. Back and forth and back and forth to split one round, a big one. As opposed to flopping a big round over onto a smaller one for splitting, and having both hands on the fiskars, walking around and round the round and having a pile of splits in much less time than it took waiting for the splitter to cycle back and forth, plus having to keep trying to not have huge chunks fall on my feet, reload the thing, and still operate the controls. Nuts. I'll take the fiskars any day for personal firewood amounts. Heck, I'd take it even if I was doing smaller commercial amounts.

I found the splitter to only be faster trying to do huge like gnarly sweetgum rounds, most anything else, the fiskars was easier and faster, plus cheaper to run and loads quieter and less stinky.

The hydraulic finally broke down enough that the decision of what to use got a lot easier for me... I ain't missed the power splitter yet. Ya, I still got a bummer pile, one day I'll just make a dedicated noodling saw with an opened up exhaust chute and go for it and cut chunks.

If you can make a safe foot operated control, ya, that might work. Need to make sure a chunk can't fall on it though and activate something when you don't want it to. A shield for it maybe.

I have four different diesel kubota mowers here, one of them has a neat go forward/go backward foot control, like you indicated, a foot rocker switch. I forget which model number that one is, I'll check it today and post back, maybe you can scrounge that part some place from a tractor junkyard. I *think* it is a model F2600 err something. F2260, I believe that is it. Or 2620 Oh, I just don't remember. F series for sure, dedicated mower. I'll check anyway and make sure, I haven't used that one for a coupla years now, boss got me two brand new ones I use instead. Kubota finally got their act together and with the newer ones matched the decks to the tractor and engine size better, the older ones would tear up decks or belts too easy using most of the rpms, along with some other retarded engineering issues I found. Like putting a zerk on a tensioner pulley that if you actually used the zerk it would blow the pulley off the spindle! Wasn't that special when I found that out....

edit: it's a 2400. most of those sort of mowers have a forward/reverse arrangement on a common foot pedal, one shape or another. I don't know about other brands.

Last edited:
Wow, way to think outside the box. I think you are on to something. And I'll remember I heard it first from you.

One of the splitters I have as an auto valve and all you do is set your log lenth, push the handle forward, and go stack or grab anouther log. It will go through the whole cycle and be back in the ready when you get back to it. Whitespider has the same splitter and will swear by it, now i just need to get both set up this way!

Tell me more about this auto valve. Who makes it and what is its technical name/model #? The only auto cycle I've seen is a youtube vid of a homemade processor that achieves the auto cycle through bungee cords and a metal rod on the splitter foot.

As for the foot valve, it is a great idea as long as you can keep chips from building up under the pedal. Tire machines are foot operated, why not a splitter?

Prince makes a valve. Pull both handles forward and it goes through entire cycle. I bought a detent valve for both directions. I don't have the extra money to spend on that other fancy valve. I think they're around $300+

Here's another view of the Powersplit Int'l splitter in the last video:

Double-Vertical-17.jpg

Sure gives me a different idea for a "foot pedal" then what I was envisioning before in reading this thread (I had been thinking more like an electric foot switch style thingy)

Oh...and holy hell, I can't imagine the poor crew that has to keep that beast fed at maximum production rate all day long :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back