For 56 to 81cc Efco, Olympyk, Oleo-Mac, JD, Cub Cadet saw owners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It might just be me, but installing the cylinder cover on my 970 was not fun. The ‘not fun’ part for me was getting the rubber intake manifold flange through the opening in the cover. I have read where someone used thread or a small diameter string, but for me that didn’t work. I used other ‘methods’ that were not good for the rubber flange. I was going to buy the $5 tool that Bailey’s can get, but thought I’d try make something similar. Here it is:

attachment.php

I cut out a piece from a beer can (from the ditch…I don’t drink). I had some leftover cans from experimenting with making cylinder gaskets…a soda can would work. I don’t know how long of a piece I ended up with…trial and error. I then shaped the piece of aluminum (into the opening in the cylinder cover for the rubber flange) into a ‘tube’. I held the ‘tube’ together with duct tape.

Squeeze/fold-over the rubber flange; slip the ‘tube’ over the flange and down as far as it will go; then fit the cylinder cover opening over the ‘tube’. After the cylinder cover is in place, just pull off the ‘tube’ and adjust the rubber flange edge over the lip of the cylinder cover. I should have taken pics as I did this the other day, but I was more concerned to see if it would work…and I didn’t want to redo it. I hope it all makes sense. Someone might have a better material to use or a better procedure altogether. This works for me.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back