For all the guys with CAD really, really bad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindFork

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My question to all you guys with serious CAD: Do you make your living or some portion of your income with chainsaws? If so, then the CAD makes sense, or can at least be justified.

For you guys with CAD that do other kinds of work, what are you doing with all those saws??
(Get rid of one by selling me a 372 for cheap. Your wife will be grateful. :D )

Dont make a living with saws but I heat my home with wood and Im serious about firewood gathering. I have a variety of saws and they all get used some. I have favorites that get used more. Saws help me de-stress. It's a time when I can tune out everything around me and clear my head.

If you play your cards right you should at least break even when dealing in saws. That is the bear minimum. I have a ms660, ms440, ms361, ms261 and a ms200t as my personal saws and I have still put money in the bank. The saws I have are very minty but I got them at very good prices. Multiple saw deals are the best. Buy 4 saws and sell one for the price you paid for all. That's what I am talkin about. This is the first hobby that I have had that makes money.

Dont make a living with saws but I heat my home with wood and Im serious about firewood gathering. I have a variety of saws and they all get used some. I have favorites that get used more. Saws help me de-stress. It's a time when I can tune out everything around me and clear my head.
Right on. Your CAD makes perfect sense to me. :)

If you play your cards right you should at least break even when dealing in saws. That is the bear minimum. I have a ms660, ms440, ms361, ms261 and a ms200t as my personal saws and I have still put money in the bank. The saws I have are very minty but I got them at very good prices. Multiple saw deals are the best. Buy 4 saws and sell one for the price you paid for all. That's what I am talkin about. This is the first hobby that I have had that makes money.

That's cool! Your CAD makes perfect financial sense to me. :cheers:

That's the fun of it! To buy a bunch of saw's cheap and sell the first one for more than I paid for all 14 in the lot I bought this past friday! 14 saw's for 140 bucks...who would'nt buy them?

The funny thing is most guys i know like myself that make a living with saws don't have CAD stock piles of ported shelf queens or need the latest and greatest. I have 2 200T's,201T,355T,Stihl MS361,2 346xp's,562xp,372xpw,372xp pre x-torq,and a 390xp all are work saws some are stock and some only muff modded. The only ones newer than 5 years old are the 201,355,and 562.

Last edited:
cad is a money maker for me,, I flip a lot of saws during the year,, plus I heat my shop and home with wood

Wether you make money or not is mostly not the issue for many:msp_confused:

Trying to justify to a significant other member of your household is the biggest issue at least for me:help:

She and I for that matter have turned a corner in the right way on this issue though.

After that hurdle is cleared it is go forth and do what you need to get your fix on.

I make money on some saws (sell), I trade with others and I have a small tree service and stump grinding business so those saws are truly a must have CAD.

i got around 100 saws

i got around 100 saws im just a collector who likes to show off old ones at tractor shows and logging shows and demo them and at gtg.

I'm going to take a count tonight as I really have no idea how many I have. No where near 100 thankfully:msp_tongue:

Ok I took a count and was a little surprised I found 78 of them ouch I had no idea

Last edited:
I'm going to take a count tonight as I really have no idea how many I have. No where near 100 thankfully:msp_tongue:

Ok I took a count and was a little surprised I found 78 of them ouch I had no idea
Wowwwwww, 78 saws is amazing. I don't have 78 of anything...lol!

Most people who make their living with saws don't have CAD or even want to get on a site like this and talk about saws at the end of the day.

The people who do it for a hobby love it, and like me want to learn all I can about it.

I am a farmer though, and there is always a need for a saw. That's just it, A SAW, not 10 of them. I hardly ever let the furnace run unless I'm away, and I'm putting in a new outside wood burner in so most likely I won't burn propane again. Especially if I go charcoal grill.

Most people who make their living with saws don't have CAD or even want to get on a site like this and talk about saws at the end of the day.

The people who do it for a hobby love it, and like me want to learn all I can about it.

I am a farmer though, and there is always a need for a saw. That's just it, A SAW, not 10 of them. I hardly ever let the furnace run unless I'm away, and I'm putting in a new outside wood burner in so most likely I won't burn propane again. Especially if I go charcoal grill.

This^ +1000

Since I started the stump grinding service and doing tree work I have dropped way off on a lot of saws. I still have some must keep stuff but am narrowing it down significantly through this winter I hope. eBay and here I will be listing project saws to rid myself of. The burden of shipping them can be a bit overwhelming right now. Have three going out this week plus a bar and some other misc. stuff:bang:

I'm a dealer for one brand of saws, but love to work on saws of all brands. We also heat our business (11,000 sqft) with an outdoor boiler, so cutting wood is my second job. I try to make money on every saw project, whether it's parting out a saw or fixing it to sell used. I discovered that many people are just tired of their old saws and are quite willing to trade them in for cheap on a new saw. In my spare time I clean up the trade ins and resell them. There's actually a pretty good market for used saws where I'm at and it hasn't really cut into my new saw sales.

BTW.. I don't have any issues with the better half on saws. She far prefers my saw problem to my gun problem. I never sell any of my guns :D

I don't do anything with saws for a living and I don't burn wood either, although I'd like to. I collect just because they are relaxing. My wife just smiles, gives me my happy pills and leaves me alone. I do, however, use them. I cut firewood to donate to the needy around where I live. I'm now up to 97 total, so far. :laugh:

Can't bring up the gun talk here at all. Not saying they don't exist, they just are not a good discussion point at all around here.

Back