For the old timers like me! over 40 anyway.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My great uncle used to cut fire wood for a living and Homelite was his brand of choice for the most part. We still have the super xl at the farm, in blue, great saw for it's age. Still starts easy, has an 18" bar and plenty of grunt to get the job done and that even after countless hours and cords of wood for my uncles business. If the Homelite didn't get it the Mac 440 would. That saw had grunt on steroids!! The saw still has less than 50 hours on it and runs like nobodys business. Its hard to imagine that it was intended solely as a bucking saw, no side handle. Weighs in at a nimble 23 lbs minus the chain and bar. Evil machine and definately not for the faint of heart or at least in my opinion. :chainsaw:

Well, I'm not 40 but when I was young all we had was old stuff. I remember well running my Dad's McCulloch Super 44. He bought it used in the 1960's when he built the house that I live in. When I was in high school, we lived in southern New Hampshire in a residential area. A storm came through and we like everyone else on the street had some trees down. They all came out with their electric saws and newly purchased cheapo's, while I was sent out with the "Super". Long story short, all eye's were on me for half a day, as that Mac sang it's song to everyone for miles around. The funny thing was, in Vermont no one even noticed when you ran it, although that is changing. Silly city folk.:)

When I was a kid, I use to test my strength almost everyday by lifting my dad's old David Bradley that he got from a friend of his. That thing was a monster and I only saw him use it one time. Besides the little "mini-mac" I ran when I was 11, I guess the greatest chainsaw moment in my life was when my dad let me run his Pioneer. I can't remember the model but it was a large saw.

My Dad was a Remington dealer. We sold many in Painesville Ohio. I remember him using 660's and 754's. I first ran the smaller ones; SL and PL models. I did repairs on them too. I never liked the Mighty Mites and their variants.

I repaired so many starters I can still do it in my sleep!

Bob

Mac 10-10. Have one of the first with the chainbrake from the mid 70s. So much vibe, I can feel the fillings rattling in my molars when I'm running it. Call it the banshee cuz it screams so loud.

When I was a youngster, dad stepped up to a Stihl 031AV which was a big improvement over the little poorly designed Skil saws we had. That Stihl was like a Caddy in comparision to the Skils, I still have the 031av and it runs just as good as it did 30yrs ago.

David Bradley 360 was the very first saw I laid hands on. The first one ever to really use alot for firewood though was a Homelite 350 with a Super 2 along for limbing.

Dan

I can hardly remember...

My Dad's first saw,,cant recall what model it was but it was the Mac with the push lever for oil and prime,,then I do remember him trading to a 10-10 right hand start,,it was a pretty tuff saw as I remember,,but he didnt keep it long cause they came out with the promac 55 with the decomp. start...First saw I ever got to use was his promac 55..Me and him cut alot of wood over the years with it..I said in awhiles back in a post how I was upset when he traded it to the Stihl 028 super...I never heard about Stihl before,,but let me tell ya,,,First time I used it,,I was hooked for life...I guess thats why I like the old Macs and use Stihls...He passed away in 1996 and unexpected...Thats something I will always remember and enjoy when I hit the woods,,fire up my saw,,and think of him...It might have seemed like work back then,,but I have so much to remember from him ....
I was wondering too growin up in the 60's and eary 70's,,,have anyone been tought ppe then?? My Dad always had me wear eye protection,,a brain bucket,,but never heard of chaps back then,,and ear protiction....No wonder I'm half deaf now....LOL!!!
Just had to say my peace,,and enjoy reading others.... Thanks... :)

IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_1894.jpg

The first chainsaw that I got to use was our 1957 Pioneer 600 pictured above, it was my fathers first new chainsaw. It became mine when I reached 13 years old but I was using it before I was 12. It has more than done its duty over the years and although mechanically excellent I have left it in original condition,only changed the top cover when the latch broke a few years back but I still have the original cover,just have to replace the latch tang. These saws are 103cc and weigh around 28 lbs without chain or bar.
I run it often and always remember Dad using it for the first time after we took it home from the local dealer, when it first starts it snorts whisps of smoke out the double exits of the cast metal muffler. They idle so slow and strong that they will hop right off a workbench or bury themselves in soft ground if left idling for long.
Pioneerguy600

Well, I'm not 40 but when I was young all we had was old stuff. I remember well running my Dad's McCulloch Super 44. He bought it used in the 1960's when he built the house that I live in. When I was in high school, we lived in southern New Hampshire in a residential area. A storm came through and we like everyone else on the street had some trees down. They all came out with their electric saws and newly purchased cheapo's, while I was sent out with the "Super". Long story short, all eye's were on me for half a day, as that Mac sang it's song to everyone for miles around. The funny thing was, in Vermont no one even noticed when you ran it, although that is changing. Silly city folk.:)

dont feel bad im not 40 either yet but in 15 days i turn it ouchie

Mac 1-10 with a 16" bar. (not a 110)
Used it to clean up fence rows. It didn't really have a muffler just a spark arrestor.
Now that was loud.

49sp saw belongs to my brother in law. Still runs like new but he never uses it. I've tried to buy it from him but he will not sell it,

Sears...... big blue thing....

Sears...... big blue thing..manual oiler...recoil needs work....my dad still has it....I'll be getting it soon. JD 55V cut a lot of wood with the JD.

Sears...... big blue thing..manual oiler...recoil needs work....my dad still has it....I'll be getting it soon. JD 55V cut a lot of wood with the JD.

Me too...except it was red and the recoil is okay!

The saw was my grandfather's...all metal so it was heavy. I was so scared of smoking the chain, I think I nearly dislocated my thumb pumping that manual oiler. Right now that saw is sitting under my father's workbench....I'll have to grab some pics.

Homelite C-51. It belonged to the guy next door at the camp I worked at. It was a beast to carry around, but once you set it on the cut you could take a break while it did all the work.

Had a Dolmar 153 for a while, nice saw with a sound all it's own. Saw that really suprised me was an old Homelite I fixed for one of my brothers. If I remember right, it was a 992???? Manual oiler, about a 32" bar. Amazing torque, and loud!! I'd like to have it, but somebody helped themselves to it at his house in town......

An old Sears saw a friend of my Dad bought in the 60's. He still has it and still cuts w/ it. Manual oiler, no real muffler, it sure was loud, as was most saws back then. Other than that, my 041 that I still have.

Back