For you Stihl Fans out there. Stihl 044 Mag Manufacture dates?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SierraWoodsman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm A pretty big Husky fan, but have a chance to get a used, but well cared for, low hour Stihl 044 Mag.
It's hard to turn down the $150.00 price the guy wants for it and thats with a (spare bar,Spare new chain, and a gallon of bar oil).
Long story short the young man inherited it from his grandfather who has now passed on and he needs the money for a car payment. I'm going to check it out in and hour or so.
In talking to the guy it sounds like the guy doesn't realize what he has. Being that I'm a Husky Buff here's my questions...
Does anyone know the dates of manufacture for the 044 model saw? and if there were any substantial problems with that model
that prompted Stihl to update to the 440 magnum? in what year did this update come?
Thanks in advance for the replies they are appreciated.

ANY 044/044 Mag in running condition is worth $150 all day long and normally run in the $300-$450 range no matter the manufacturing date...PERIOD!!

No need to update it to 440 status, the 044 runs stronger, plenty of parts and easy to work on.... go get it!!

044/440 is more than two decades old. Dozens of updates in that period. You can't choose a bad one as they were great from the start.

044/440 is more than two decades old. Dozens of updates in that period. You can't choose a bad one as they were great from the start.

The only major or even worthwhile update that I am aware of is that they switched from a 10mm wristpin on early 044s to the 12 mm on the later 044s and 440s. Although both are great saws and theres no issues with either.

Latest posts

Back